NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the wife's Bug was having a hard time shifting and it would rev up to 4 or 5 grand before shifting gears. It felt very sluggish but was not throwing any codes. After checking the fluids, getting a full synthetic oil change, checking air filter and other regular preventative maintenance still nothing. Then when she was getting on the highway the car redlined and the car was blowing a plume of black smoke and wouldn't go over 30mph.

What are we looking at now? I ran full diagnostic with VAGCOM and still no codes throwing. Head gasket? Exhaust leak? Fuel pump? Transmission?

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
More Info please!

Anyone trying to help is going to need a little more information, i.e. engine year/series and tranny. 2.0 and automatic is not enough information without a model year to tie them to, and even then with possible mid-year changes the engine series and type of automatic information is necessary, i.e. 2.0 (AEG), and "4 spd" automatic.

MORAV

·
5/23/10 <3
10,972 Posts
Also, how many miles on the car? Has the trans fluid ever been changed?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Sounds to me like the initial problem was with the transmission. I don't believe it should be revving up to the redline when shifting, especially under "normal" acceleration. The scariest thing you said was: "blowing a plume of black smoke". That sounds to me like something mechanical happened to the engine letting oil into the combustion chamber.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,972 Posts
Black smoke is from overfueling/unburned fuel, not oil. Oil smoke is blue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts