NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys,

Maybe any of you can help me since the Beetle also use the 2.0 engine

I have a 2009 Jetta MK4 2.0 Automatic Transmission with 40,000 kms that runs fine, then one day running on the street at 40kms suddenly the engine shut off by itself. Put the car in neutral, start the engine and it start intermediately, then a few minutes later, the same happening and repeated several times like 10 times.

Took the car to the mechanic, he change Fuel Filter, Air Filter, Spark Plugs, Oil Filter, Oil
All factory VW parts. I buy them myself............ This was a month ago.

The car behave without any problem until yesterday night it do the same thing like ten times........... Today the car work perfectly without any problem.:confused:

I dont have any OBD code reader neither my mechanic. I just order on ebay a OBDII Cable to use with VCDS LITE but I will receive that from USA like in 3 weeks.

My problem is that my daughter use the Jetta to go to the university and I dont want she get stuck with the car in the rush hour with this problem.

Maybe one of you guys that have experience this problem can give me an idea of what I need to check or replace. I am a little concern that maybe this can be a case were I will not find any problem code stored in the car computer.:banghead:

Thx for your help

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Although VCDS is a good tool, it is kind of hard to keep in the car and drive with.

I would also consider a smart phone OBDII tool. Depending on what smart phone you may have, you can have a nice tool that can record the OBDII datastream easily for usually under $35 USD.

You need a smart phone, App and the correct OBDII interface.

See my signature for more info.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Your problem is almost certainly the engine speed sensor, at least it would be on earlier 2.0's. I assume your 2009 is similar. 4 years is pretty young for one to go but it is common at 10 years. Here is a thread about fixing it: http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-liter-gas/60706-engine-speed-sensor-replacement.html
Hey Red99, thx for the advice. I have read in several forums and its look like the problem can be the Engine Speed Sensor AKA Crankshaft Position Sensor.

Was checking on ebay and there are from $7.00 and up. I think I am going to order a BOSH 06A906433C at $37.00 to play it safe.

Although VCDS is a good tool, it is kind of hard to keep in the car and drive with.

I would also consider a smart phone OBDII tool. Depending on what smart phone you may have, you can have a nice tool that can record the OBDII datastream easily for usually under $35 USD. You need a smart phone, App and the correct OBDII interface. See my signature for more info.
Hey Jfoj, Good idea. Thx for the link. I am going to read carfully that link you give me in order to decide which OBD II I will order to work with my iPhone.

THX,

Isaac

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Hey Jfoj, Good idea. Thx for the link. I am going to read carfully that link you give me in order to decide which OBD II I will order to work with my iPhone.

THX,

Isaac
Go with OE manufacturer on the sensor, do not cheap out, you will be sorry.

As for the iPhone, forget the Fuzzy App, OBD Fusion with the OBD to WiFi adapter. No Bluetooth for iPhone as Apple is worried about security and will not allow any Bluetooth data devices to connect that they have not fully vetted.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Go with OE manufacturer on the sensor, do not cheap out, you will be sorry.
Hey Jfoj, what brand is the OE one? It is BOSH?

I was checking at ECS and ebay and they are offering the BOSH at 37.95

Is there is a better brand or the BOSH is OK. Here in my country the stealer are asking $128.00, so I will order it from USA and will have it here in a week.

Thx for your help and advice

Isaac

1 - 7 of 7 Posts