NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, After a LONG search and reading about VW heater core replacement I have only seen one person post regarding "reverse flushing" the core.... I have also seen the "pieces of plastic" that become brittle inside the core possibly causing poor coolent flow (little heat in cabin...my problem).
If I had a leaking core, tearing the dash apart, pulling the HVAC box, fixing the "fuzz" issue and replacing the core would pretty much be on the "to do" list... but has anyone here TRIED to reverse flush the core??? I am willing to give it a shot, I just need to know the size of the hoses. I will leave them connected to the firewall and tap into them where those hoses terminate / connect.
I will do a tech/how to with pics...just wondering if anyone knows the hose sizes off hand?

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Over on You Tube the member: Eric the Car Guy has a video on reverse flushing a heater core. While he gets the procedure correct? He winds up getting a face full of coolant as well. It's both funny and informative at the same time.

S-

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
We just flushed the heater core on hubby's Audi last weekend. Not sure it's as easy on a Beetle though.

But for starters why do you think you need to flush it?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1 Posts
2.0 heater core... Flush or replace

I have a 2000 beetle, 2.0... Lost heat last winter, think I'm going to try the flush method first... What did you end up doing, flushing or replacing?

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Has your coolant pump been replaced at some point? That is probably the most common cause of poor heater performance. The original pumps had plastic impellers and they tend to disintegrate over time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts