NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi you guys

I'm having problems getting the car trough the yearly checkup. Hooked the car up to VAG-COM and the guy who did this, mentioned that there were 2 2possibilities. The lambda sondes or the catalysator.

Now I went to the local parts store, and the first question he asked me was, wich kind of lambda sonde it is for my car. More specifically, how many wires are attached to the sonde...

1,2,3 or 4... Does anyone know the answer? Its a 2000 2.0 4 Cyl Engine.

Many thanx !

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Hrm... so a Lambda Sonde is an oxygen sensor? I'm not sure how many wire -it sounds like the parts store is trying to sell you a universal one that you splice the wires in. I'd order online and get the correct part

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If i could, i would, but since i live in belgium and i don't wanna order overseas, and that shop gives me a serious discount price, i want to order it there. The only thing is, that i need to know wich type it is.. The only other option is to remove it from the car and check.. Just wanted to know if someone allready knew the answer

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm planning on changing the both of them, since the car is 5 years. If its possoble, could you provide me with the two numbers / wire counts?

Thanx !

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wanted that as a last resort, as i'm not a mechanic. My passion is computers, driving nice cars, but not working on them :) I leave that work to professionals who actually know what they are doing, but as you all know, they cost money.

Thats why i'm asking just for part numbers or the number of wires... If someone allready had this problem, they will know what i mean. Isn't that the meaning of a forum?

:D

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Sonic said:
I wanted that as a last resort, as i'm not a mechanic. My passion is computers, driving nice cars, but not working on them :) I leave that work to professionals who actually know what they are doing, but as you all know, they cost money.

Thats why i'm asking just for part numbers or the number of wires... If someone allready had this problem, they will know what i mean. Isn't that the meaning of a forum?

:D
If you have the part numbers, you don't need to know the number of wires... but once again, part numbers won't help you because it sounds like your auto parts store is trying to sell you a universal O2 sensor that you have to splice the wires for (which is not ideal). Both sensors are also heated which will be important to know.

I can't find any reference online to how many wires (I think it is 4 though) - but both are available at www.ecstuning.com for $22.95USD for the front one and $48.95USD for the back one. They are small, so shipping should be fairly inexpensive. What is the auto parts store going to charge you?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know it's not the ideal solution, but i think the VW shops here are real mobsters. You say you can get them together for about $70, here at our VW shops, there asking (hold on to something heavy) $240 a peace !

As i'm not Hugh Hefner or some of those other rich guys, i'm obligated to buy the cheaper ones. They are actually perfect copies of the VW ones, but made by other companies.

I could order them online, but the car has to be checked again before november 19, if that doesn't happen before that time, i get a fine(ticket)... So living here in Belgium isn't all that great [:-(]

Anyway, thanx for the quick responses... will have a look what i'm going to do

1 - 9 of 9 Posts