VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, bought a no start a couple of days ago. It cranks over but doesn't start. I don't think it's getting any gas. I tried it this morning while it was cold and got no where. This afternoon when it was about 85 degrees I tried it again and gas must have expanded from the heat and there was just enough for it to turn over for a second. I tested the resistance on the fuel pump and got 1.1 k ohms. Is this a good or bad reading? I'm going to the local college tuesday to print off some schematics for it. I tried to find the fuse panel but they'd got it hidden good enough I can't find it. I'm really a Dodge/Jeep girl (sorry) and everything I know has to do with mostly just that. It's a 2001 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.0. Not sure on the submdoel as none of the paperwork I have says what it is and the decals have been removed by previous owners. Also, on crank the tach doesn't move. Crankshaft sensor? Thanks in advancd!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've scanned for codes and got nothing, I also checked the fuel pressure. I haven't checked for spark because it started for a minute. It wouldn't have started if there wasn't any spark. It tried to start a couple more times but it burned the little fuel it had in the injectors.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
What was the fuel pressure? Is is important; to check while it is running/starting and when the car is off for 10 minutes. A failing fuel pump; can cause, progressively harder starting issues. squirting some start fluid; into the airbox, is a easy way to check for fuel (e.g.: if it starts; you probably aren't getting fuel).

As for checking the spark; sometimes, there are intermittent no spark issues. Lately we are seeing bad ecu's (bosch ignition chip failure) and cracked coils; are common on the 2.0L.

Always start with the basics: what is the history of the car and how was it running, before the no start condition?

Good list of things to check:

http://www.linnbenton.edu/auto/perform/no_start.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought the car as a no start, and I'm going to assume there was no fuel pressure. My dad checked that while I was helping my mother with something. The guy I bought it from said it ran great before and he went out one morning and it wouldn't start. It has sat for quite a while since. I bought it from him for really cheap. He was a friend of mine and had no ambition to mess with it. I need to check the fuel pump relay when I get home from work. Does the hitting the tank lightly with a hammer work? Someone told me to try it but I've heard mixed things. Also, when the car started the tach moved so it shouldn't be the crankshaft or camshaft sensors right?

·
Registered
7 Posts
What year is it? This might sound stupid, but have you checked the battery and are you using the right scanner? A regular OBD II scanner won't always pull codes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
And if you haven't found it yet, the fuse box is on the d/s on the side of the dash. Open the door and you should see where it is. You might have to look online for a diagram to figure out what is what. On my '07, most are either generic pics, owner's manual pics (which direct you to a dealership), or aren't labeled at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's a 2001 and I've checked the battery. It is good. I even put it on a trickle charge for a few days and load tested it and it's definitely good.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
When you checked the fuel pressure; was it in spec? You need to check: when turning over, when running (maybe not possible) and when the engine is turned off, after 10 minutes (residual pressure). HItting the gas tank; seems to be a common "technique" for a failing pump but also, they say it can damage the pump. So, traditional testing techniques; may be better and not potentially damage the pump. Checking for power at the fuel pump and pressure; to begin with and go from there.

We are working with another member; along the same issues and there is some good info and links, there as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got a Volkswagen specific scanner today and there was only a code for the rear left ABS sensor. Going to test the pump today and all of the fuses and relays.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I forget the brand exactly. It was for Volkswagen and Audi. I'll check in the morning. I unplugged the fuel pump while the code reader was plugged in to see if it would throw a code to make sure that the reader actually worked and it did. The fuel pump is getting power but not engaging so I'm ordering a new one in the morning. Other than the obvious rear left abs sensor, hopefully that is all it needs. I need rocker panels for both sides, any idea where I could get those other than through Volkswagen? They're $$$$ througn Volkwagen.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
For the fuel pump; be sure to get oem Bosch or VDO! They are the best and you can good prices online; aftermarket under $100 stuff, is junk and will fail.

Look up the part numbers in the catalogs and then search with that part number online, for the best price.

www.boschautoparts.com

VDO_ATE Online Parts Catalog

As for the rocker panels; good question, I know one member replaced his but I believe he used genuine vw parts. $150 a side; for genuine vw repair panels; seems to be the going rate.

Rocker Panel.
Part Number: 1C0809673
This fits your 2001 Volkswagen Beetle
Left; to VIN 1C4403541

Rocker Panel.
Part Number: 1C0809674
This fits your 2001 Volkswagen Beetle
Right; to VIN 1C4403541

Volkswagen

http://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen_20...ight-to-VIN-1C4403541/48111426/1C0809674.html

ECSTUNING: has them on sale for $109 with free shipping!

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/1c...lJuGcX7QvVhH5BpY4B9Q_nk4Y0xC5jEYREaAsnQ8P8HAQ

http://newbeetle.org/forums/paint-body/59523-rocker-panel-replacement-welding-whatever.html

You might look for some good used; sectioned out rocker panels from the western part of the USA with no rust. I'm sure most junk yards; would sell a sectioned out rocket panel that would be in good shape but by the time you add shipping, etc. it might be cheaper and easier to work with new panels? The extra work involved; may not be worth it?

Search for used parts here: www.car-parts.com

Like most things; you either pay for new stuff or buy used, spend the time to rework them. Time rich; money poor or time poor and money rich; you have decide how you're going to "spend" your money/time, what is more important to you.

Another option, is to get the Votex repro rocker panel covers and cover up the old ones, call it a day. I don't know if yours are damaged; rusted out or causing structural problmes but this is a option: (paint yourself and use adhesive to install):

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-Fast-Shipping-Options-Great-Customer-Service!

http://www.optikwerks.com/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts