VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So briefly, I picked this NB up from family. 44k miles on it. It had overheated and cracked the head. Brand new head was installed professionally, but car was still running very rough. They took the car and had it towed back to their house which is where I picked it up.

As I was investigating the lack of oil pressure I discovered that the windage tray had been melted to a liquid state and sucked up the oil pick up tube and into the oil pump. I have all of that sorted and cleaned out, new windage tray, new pickup tube, etc.

Charged the battery and hooked up a OBD II reader and got the following codes:

P1544 - Throttle Position Sensor
P0122 - Throttle Position Sensor
P0322 - Crankshaft Position Sensor
P0341 - CamShaft Position Sensor
P0510 - Another throttle position sensor ???
P1580 - ????

The car idles and runs but seems to have a lack of power, bad/old gas? It has been sitting for about 2 years. I cleared the codes and took it for a short drive in my neighborhood, ran rough and sputtered a bit, at idle in the driveway it cut off but started right back up.

To get the car to pull you really have to get the rpm's up to what seems inappropriate numbers...3500 to 4k

Anyone got some idea where or what to start looking at? Not a wrench by trade but it is a serious hobby.

Thanks in advance for any input.

TC

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
A common problem; is people will get the timing belt off a tooth or so and it will have low power and throw codes about the cam sensor. I would check all the timing marks and confirm; they are all in sync, as they should be to spec.

As for the throttle body related codes; you might clean the throttle body and do a throttle body alignment, check the wiring and plugs for damage, make sure they are connected securely.

As for the trouble codes:

P1544 - Throttle Position Sensor: Throttle Actuation Potentiometer Signal Too High

P0122 Throttle Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit Low Input - Check Engine Light Code

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16706/P0322/000802

16725/P0341/000833 - Ross-Tech Wiki

P0510 Closed Throttle Position Switch Malfunction DTC

17988/P1580/005504 - Ross-Tech Wiki

On the melted windage tray; have you confirmed the oil pressure is in spec? We had some other members with the same issue and the oil filter adapter/cooler/pressure relief valve assembly were ALSO clogged up with plastic from the melted plastic. So, I would also; check that as well; that member, ended up having to replace it, as it was clogged up with melted plastic debris.

Keep in mind; you are dealing with allot of different issues and repairs you were NOT involved with. So, you need to check over things and make sure everything is hooked up and put back together correctly. With the extreme overheating and cracked head; there maybe, other issues that were not resolved or discovered during the repair process. Lets hope; they did things right but you are already working through overlooked issues, as it is. Hopefully, you can work through them and end up with a correctly running car! :)

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
What year is the car, model, engine (2.0L) and trans is the car? With that info; we can give you a link, to the timing marks info, in the service manual and you can check they are correct.

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info, the car is a 2000. thought it might be a good first car for my daughter as it only has 44k miles on it. might have more than i care to deal with!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts