VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my 05' New Beetle Convertible. Both of the rear window motors needed to be replaced, it had a check engine light one, and a slight oil leak. It also hit 100,000 so it needed some average maintenance. My Dad and I ran the codes for the check engine light, and ordered all of the parts need for a new water pump, timing belt, engine flush, oil change, ect. To say the least it was an extensive list, but I wanted to get everything maintenanced and taken care of in advance while I am in Nursing school

The window regulators we found for a good price however, but the quote we received was 2 1/2 hours of labor to put in ONE window regulator. I needed 2! Thats a lot of labor for 2 back windows. We decided to go ahead and get it done regardless, because the windows wouldn't fully shut with out it.

This being said the mechanic calls us and said the part we purchased was simply the regulator, which would involve an entire rebuild of the motor/window part, and usually the dealership sells the motor and the regulator as an entire unit for $700 a piece!

WHAT KIND OF MADNESS IS THIS? We purchased a piece of an entire part. The part was correct and would of fixed the problem, however it is a dueling task, and doesn't promise the results. So basically, if you mess it up you've wasted your money on labor and parts.

So now just to repair on my back windows is almost half the price of my "new to me" car.

My questions are...

Has anyone else had their rear window regulators go out. How much have you paid for them to be fixed? Is this a common issue? How long is a new regulator going to last?

·
Registered
762 Posts
The rear window regulators can be rebuilt, VW dealers sell a kit just for this. I've put up a crappy video showing how to install the kit onto a regulator frame:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtmMMH9K2iI

This is a much better way to do the repair because by reusing the regulator frame and hardware, you won't have to mess with the adjustments, pull everything out, swap the cables over, drop it back in. If one were to go with a new frame/motor/glass.. yeah, have fun adjusting that and watch the glass shatter. :D It is a skill to get the rear windows adjusted correctly.

2.5 hours labor is about average time. The rear windows will fail again, not if, but when.

·
Registered
875 Posts
My dealer charges $5-600 per side, you do have to remove the back seat to remove the door panels so the labor should be a little cheaper for one side if you do both ago the same time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is crazy money....What are they smoking??
Hahahaha!

Well the labor is 400-500 dollars for the work for both regulators and the part from the dealer with a year warranty is 700 dollars a piece and since I needed two, it's roughly 2,000!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wow. I would be looking into junkyards and Ebay followed by Youtube to find out how hard it really is to do. If there is a will, there is a way. I couldn't give that hard earned cash to a dealership. Just my $.02.
I recently was quoted even more than that from the dealership to rebuild my daughters front end to her 02 Beetle. In a weekend, we rebuilt the thing and saved a TON of green.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts