VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Hoping to capitalise on all your knowledge!

I've been doing a lot of searches and lots of threads and answers come up but all slightly varying (I think) to what I have going on. I did find a post that had an image similar to what I'm going to add, but been searching for it again and can't find it now :-(

So the cars fine while its cold, but after a while driving, say 30 minutes or sitting idling in traffic for 10/15 minutes; the gearbox gets really jerky and harsh. Its really noticeable on downshifts. Sometimes it also just goes into neutral (even if you're rolling 3/4th gear). Once it starts getting jerky, Reverse and forward gears are really harsh.

One of the topics mentioned that the magnet under the gear stick sometimes comes away, I've taken the console apart and the magnet is in place.

This error shows on the VCDS but other than the magnet, I can't make sense of what needs to be checked/fixed.

Also, when its been driven about 45/50 minutes, all the gears are highlighted on the dash:

The tiptronic never works either.

Would appreciate any knowledge!

Thanks all

·
Registered
14,520 Posts
The gear selectors are commonly broken and defective. You might look at live data and see, if the position of the gears; is the same as shown in the vcds reader blocks. The last one i replaced, showed incorrect correlation with each other. After the selector assembly replacement and a kick down reset using vcds; the shifting quality improved and the tiptronic features, started working again. I would start with testing the selector, confirm it is defective, replace if needed and then, see how things work. The transmission can't shift correctly, if the selector, the position sensors, are bad and the tcu, is confused as to what gear it is in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks @billymade I'll try this as soon as possible and report back!

I'm by no means a good mechanic. I can do a lot of the basic servicing stuff but I'll give it a go. To the point of looking up the selector (Where it is and how to replace it) 🙈

Thanks again

·
Registered
14,520 Posts
The above video, shows you; how to view live data, to see the transmission gear selection, tcu is "seeing", it is in.

Here is a video; showing how to replace the selector assembly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,520 Posts
New from vw is about $150; there are different colors, order by vin #, to get the correct part.

#23 Automatic Transmission Shift Indicator

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brilliant thanks so much.

Went to do it today and dropped my laptop! Do'h.

Really appreciate the help :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts