NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased a 2000 1.8 Turbo with 10,800 original miles. The service history on the car (Carfax) shows all service was performed by a VW dealer. Oil changes etc were done on an annual basis (average 900 miles per year). The car was garage kept and shows zero wear inside and out.

My questions:

Timing belt - Should the timing belt be changed as it is 12 years old even though it only has 10K miles on it?

What other service items besides belts and hoses should be checked on this car? I plan to check and if needed replace all vacuum hoses, coolant lines, belts etc, but do not know if any sensors or what else should also be changed out while at it?

I have already ordered new tires for the car as they are the original tires, while no dry rot etc they are 12 years old but show almost no wear at all.

The door panels fabric has come loose on both doors, any pointers on the best place to get purchase replacements?

The sun roof sliding fabric covered panel also has some fabric sag, any pointers on where to purchase a replacement would be a great help too.

There are small pieces of thin black / grey foam coming out of all of the interior dash air vents when the AC system is turned on high. Any idea where this could be coming from and is it worth replacing the failed foam part?

So if you were me and were going to put your daughter in this car (her first car) what would you recommend be serviced checked etc please.

Thank you all in advance

Mark

·
Ali's Dad
229 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. 10K miles..that is a lottery win. Welcome to the org.

The foam is from the Blend Door...there is a DIY on fixing it.

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/41973-blend-door-diy.html

Yes, do the timing belt, serpentine belt swap, as well as the antifreeze, and just about any fluid..its all OLD.

There are several DIYS on the headliner and door panels just type it into the Search field. Here's a taste:
http://newbeetle.org/forums/styling-modifications/54002-headliner-re-do-thanks-everyone-site.html

Search for what ya need answer to. If you can't narrow it down then ask a question.

Be sure to update your profile with your vehicle information, and post PICTURES. We would all like to see what a virtually new 2000 looks like 12 years later - kinda like a time machine.

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
Timing belt, water pump, tensioner, idler should be done immediately. Fresh coolant (G12 only). Check vacuum lines carefully for cracking. Get dealer to confirm that coil pack recalls have been done. If not, new coil packs. Brake fluid flush. NEW TIRES. Fresh 5w40 synthetic, use the larger Passat oil filter.

I'll let others answer the interior detailing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the links. I will review and search. Saw the thread on the 35K 2000 where he was asking similar questions this also helped.

I will get her clean and pretty and post a pic or two. Even still has the OEM vase and flower in perfect shape. It is a time machine of sorts. Under the hood looks brand new too. It it a one owner car that was only driven in nice weather. The underside of the car is cleaner than the top, really.

Mark

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
If it has the dreaded O1M 4 speed automatic transmission be sure to change out the transmission fluid and filter. It's the weak link of the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got some good news today. The timing belt, water pump and tensioners etc were replaced already by the VW dealer 12 of 09 or 1300 miles ago. Looks like I will avoid the cost of a timing belt change after all.

Ordered 4 new tires from Tirerack for less tan $300 (close out special on Kumos). Things are falling into place.

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
Wait, it's an auto? Sell it before you spend any money on it! You're better off with a manual with five (or ten) times the mileage...

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
Wait, it's an auto? Sell it before you spend any money on it! You're better off with a manual with five (or ten) times the mileage...
My auto has about 130k miles on it, and it's showing no signs of failure.. don't get too freaked out.

I'd still consider the timing belt in the near future.. it's only been 1300 miles but also what, 4 years? I wouldn't go more than 4 or 5 years or 80k miles. It's not something you can gamble with.

Now some pictures please :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts