NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2000 1.8T shakes when accelerating *SOLVED*

Hi,

I have a problem with my bug. It starts shaking/vibrating with loss of power when I try to accelerate over 2500rpms. If I try to accelerate carefully it runs fine but as soon as I try to give it more gas it starts shaking (usually around 2500rpms when the turbo comes in).
So far 1st gear has been fine, it starts with 2nd gear and gets worse with higher gears. Idle is fine and lower rpms is fine.

So far guesses have been clutch (which another mechanic said it couldn't be becouse it doesn't do it with 1st gear) and ignition coils/spark plugs (changing those next weekend).

Does anyone have better ideas? Thanks!

·
Ali's Dad
229 Posts
Check for vacuum leaks. My daughter's 1.8T convertible shook badly until I found a huge leak in the vacuum lines. The main line into the turbo would pop on/off with acceleration. It wasn't clamped on. I replaced the clamp and it was fine.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Hi,

I have a problem with my bug. It starts shaking/vibrating with loss of power when I try to accelerate over 2500rpms. If I try to accelerate carefully it runs fine but as soon as I try to give it more gas it starts shaking (usually around 2500rpms when the turbo comes in).
So far 1st gear has been fine, it starts with 2nd gear and gets worse with higher gears. Idle is fine and lower rpms is fine.

So far guesses have been clutch (which another mechanic said it couldn't be becouse it doesn't do it with 1st gear) and ignition coils/spark plugs (changing those next weekend).

Does anyone have better ideas? Thanks!
Go to Autozone or other Auto Parts place and have them hook it up to a scanner. Let them give you the codes. That will give us a bit more to go by.

Actually clutch problems do start commonly in the higher gears. It is very distinct and usually happens during accelleration when the clutch slips. The engine will surge but the car will not accellerate. Take the car and accellerate to 25-30mph then shift to 4th gear. Put the accellerator all the way down and see how it behaves. If the RPMs go up but your car isn't accellerating it is definitely the clutch.

Otherwise it can be a slew of other things. Most commonly one or more vacuum leaks. Those old lines have seen better days and should all be replaced. Even a small vacuum leak can cause major issues especially on the 1.8 Turbo engines.

When is the last time the timing belt/water pump service was done? How many miles on the engine? Did you clean your throttle body and MAF sensor? How is the connection to the Diverter Valve? Are the hoses to and from the SAI pump secure and in place? Lots and lots of possibilities.

Again, get it scanned and report back. Have them give you the codes and not just their guesses on what it might be. VW's are not like other cars and what they think and what it actually is are mostly very different things ;)

Good Luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Go to Autozone or other Auto Parts place and have them hook it up to a scanner. Let them give you the codes. That will give us a bit more to go by.
There wans't any code, everything seemed to be just fine.

Take the car and accellerate to 25-30mph then shift to 4th gear. Put the accellerator all the way down and see how it behaves. If the RPMs go up but your car isn't accellerating it is definitely the clutch.
I tried this and the RPMs didn't go up, it just accelerated (slowly) and as soon as it reached to little over 2500rpms, vibrations started.

Otherwise it can be a slew of other things. Most commonly one or more vacuum leaks. Those old lines have seen better days and should all be replaced. Even a small vacuum leak can cause major issues especially on the 1.8 Turbo engines.
I tried to check every hose and wire in the engine room but couldn't find anything (removed covers, both upper and bottom side of engine)

When is the last time the timing belt/water pump service was done? How many miles on the engine? Did you clean your throttle body and MAF sensor? How is the connection to the Diverter Valve? Are the hoses to and from the SAI pump secure and in place? Lots and lots of possibilities.
This one has around 100k miles, timing belt/water pump was changes when it had around 60k miles. If i'm not mistaken, I should change them 110k miles again.
I think throttle body and maf sensor hasn't been cleaned. I should check the connections again from diverter valve (friend suspected it). Is that SAI pump that plastic blower with hoses? If so, it was repaired while ago and everything was attached to it properly when I checked it.

As I said, my friend suspected that either diverter valve doesn't work properly or turbo is dying. Is there anyway to check them before bying new one and change it?

Thanks for helping!

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
shakes

If it's vibrating and shakes while accelerating down the road under laod it's definitely the CV Axles, mine did the same thing and drove me nuts trying to troubleshoot cause the rubber boots were not torn and i had just replaced those same axles 6 months ago. Well wind up being poor quality after market cv axle parts, just fyi Good luck and welcome to newbeetle.org

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
There wans't any code, everything seemed to be just fine.

I tried this and the RPMs didn't go up, it just accelerated (slowly) and as soon as it reached to little over 2500rpms, vibrations started.

I tried to check every hose and wire in the engine room but couldn't find anything (removed covers, both upper and bottom side of engine)

This one has around 100k miles, timing belt/water pump was changes when it had around 60k miles. If i'm not mistaken, I should change them 110k miles again.
I think throttle body and maf sensor hasn't been cleaned. I should check the connections again from diverter valve (friend suspected it). Is that SAI pump that plastic blower with hoses? If so, it was repaired while ago and everything was attached to it properly when I checked it.

As I said, my friend suspected that either diverter valve doesn't work properly or turbo is dying. Is there anyway to check them before bying new one and change it?

Thanks for helping!
Unless you are chipped or tuned the Diverter Valves rarely go out. But anything is possible. If the Diverter Valve is faulty there should be a CEL or code stored. Sometimes the generic OBDII scanners don't read all the VAG type codes. It is best to scan the car with a VAG com/VCDS software which is specific for VW/Audi type vehicles.
If it is just vibration or wheel noise it could very well be the cv axles or the wheel bearings. Neither one of those items will throw a code.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for reminding me about cv axles but shouldn't it make some noise when turning if axles is going bad? Or when driving and accelerating shouldn't it make little pull to steering wheel if axle rotates loose?

Next I try to find vag-com and log everything... maybe I change spark plugs and coils also (doesn't do any harm to change them).

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
DVs do go, even in stock tune. There is an updated one available. Bad DV will not necessarily set a code unless the engine is used at high RPM.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
cv axles

Thanks for reminding me about cv axles but shouldn't it make some noise when turning if axles is going bad? Or when driving and accelerating shouldn't it make little pull to steering wheel if axle rotates loose?

Next I try to find vag-com and log everything... maybe I change spark plugs and coils also (doesn't do any harm to change them).
I am not saying you have the same axle problem i'm just giving you other options that would make the motor vibrate/shake.
When the Axles are really bad than u start to hear them do clicking or clunking noises especially when turning or curves. Mine had none of those symtoms but the motor would vibrate/shake at around 40-50 mph, as soon as I would release the gas pedal it would stop shaking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally this is solved.

Few days ago I got my old laptop to run and got vag-com to work. I started to read fault codes. Suddenly while car was running I heard a misfire which was quite regular.
I bought new plugs/coils and car started to work fine. Not sure was it bad plug or coil but the plugs were quite fine colored.

Thanks for every advice, got to know my car little bit more when I tried to check every possibility.

·
Registered
14 Posts
vibration on acceleration

I just had mine repaired at Helmuts in Bremerton. They are really good at this. I tried to fix it myself, and had no luck. Both axles, and engine mount. Still no luck. It was vibrating on the right. Bout helmets found it to be the left ball joint, and my replacement axle was bent.
Now it's real smooth.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I just had mine repaired at Helmuts in Bremerton. They are really good at this. I tried to fix it myself, and had no luck. Both axles, and engine mount. Still no luck. It was vibrating on the right. Bout helmets found it to be the left ball joint, and my replacement axle was bent.
Now it's real smooth.
Helmuts is still around??? I used to take my air cooled beetle in there when I was in the navy. I think the guys name was thomb. That was back in 1994!! They were good though.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts