NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum.
Need help, this issue is driving me nuts literally.:mad:
Long story short. Bought a used 00 2.0 manual, great on gas (reason I bought)
Took it to work, after work car started, reversed and waited for another car and the car stalled and it won't start for the love of me.
It's been at my job parking lot for a month now. This is the only code I get using Vag:

16725 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40): Implausible Signal

Fuel pump primes when I open the door, I checked fuel filter (not clogged) I changed my ignition coil/wires and plugs. I changed crankshaft position sensor 3 times. Checked all fuses even at the battery ( nothing wrong ) I pulled the timing belt cover and the Timing belt looks brand new.
I tried checking my timing, but noticed when I was trying to breaking the crank pulley bolts to check timing at the crank pulley, that the engine would turn when the transmision was on gear. (car jacked up)
I put back the tire checked to make sure the car was on first gear and turned the wheels, and the wheels would spin freely. When I replaced the timing belt on another 2.0 auto having the cat on gear was the trick I used to break the bolts on the crank pulley, I don't understand why do the wheels spin freely, ohh I also did a compression test and it's fine?

I am at a loss on this one, car turns but wont start, as the title states.
It really sucks, I'm 2500 short with the biggest weight paper I have ever bought, please help me turn this weight paper,into a car again.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Have you tried replacing the camshaft position sensor (located behind the camshaft belt pulley)? That is what your code was for.

If you have both front wheels raised they will spin freely with the car in gear. One turns forward, the other backward because of the operation of the differential. With just one front wheel raised you shouldn't be able to spin it with the car in gear.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Red.
No I have not, would a Camshaft Position Sensor cause a no start, how difficult is to change?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
It definitely would cause a no-start. Without it the computer doesn't know which injector or plug it should be firing.

I'm not sure how hard it is to replace. On the 2.0 it is in behind the camshaft pulley, but hopefully it doesn't require removing the pulley. If you remove the upper timing belt cover you can see it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts