NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GF's new beetle is leaking coolant. It just hit 80k miles. It runs fine just leaks a lot of coolant. Here are the pics of where its leaking from:

In the lower left of this pic, under the crankshaft at the corner of the oil pan is were most of leaking is occurring.

Here is a closer shot of that lower corner. When the car is running on a slant, the coolant runs from the bottom of the crankshaft and drips off the corner-most bolt in the oil pan.

Here is another shot from the back side of the oil pan.

The car had a coolant leak about a year ago coming from a broken flange on the other side of the motor. I was able to successfully replace it in a day. This job looks like it may be more involved. From what I've read, it looks like this could be a water pump leak, but I'm no mechanic. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
708 Posts
You got a water pump leak. It's right above the crank pulley, behind the black plastic cover. At 80k
miles, it's due for timing belt and water pump change. Good luck, it's not cheap if you take it somewhere.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I forgot to mention, when doing the water pump/ belt, make sure you do the idler/ tensioner pulley, new motor mount bolts and get the green coolant out of there. You're supposed to have the pink coolant ( G12).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts