VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
oldsdroptop
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought this 2000 beetle from a neighbor about 2 miles away for $400 its got 166k miles. It has a sunroof and leather interior. Nice aftermarket Kenwood stereo. Tires are almost gone. The body has a pretty good dent in the drivers door.Interior will need some work. But overall a pretty decent lil car. The woman I bought it from was told the motor had a blown head gasket, but after starting the car (had to jump it off) I could tell the motor was not skipping, and there's no water in the oil, there wasn't any pressure in the cooling system. As far as I can tell the thermostat wasn't opening up, and someone had cut the wires to 1 of the cooling fans. So I wired the fan back up, and took out the thermostat, so it shoulf run nice and cool now. I figure when I'm done I'll have a grand in it and have a decent lil car. Thought I'd run my newest acquisition by you guys and see what you think.

Attachments

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
You don't want it cool, it will kill your mileage. You want it running at 195F. Get a new stat in it, stat ;)

You also need to do the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, and idler. ASAP.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I got mine for 800 and mine did need a head gasket along with a new head....hope you have better luck with yours. I would do what turboturbo recommended for sure. Better to be safe than sorry !?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
You don't want it cool, it will kill your mileage. You want it running at 195F. Get a new stat in it, stat ;)
Actually these engines should run about 205F at idle.

No thermostat is a VERY bad idea on these cars.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
fixer

look's like a nice fixer-upper, congrats
I agree with jfoj it need's to run closer to 200F and above on the temperature.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts