NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be kinda tricky but i need to try to figure out how to bypass the switch in the drivers door that makes the fuel pump prime upon opening. hope this makes sense

thanks in advance

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i need to clarify the reason im trying to bypass that harness is because i shaved and suicided the doors and put in aftermarket door latches, it also has roll up windows so i kinda threw the harness away, found out after 7 years that is the reason the car doesnt start good (because how it primes the fuel pump) and thanks again
:)

·
Registered
708 Posts
On 98 models they wired the car to pime the fuel when the key is turned forward to the run position. What I was suggesting is to find the wire that was on the micro switch and add it to a IGN ON circuit. That way when you turn your key forward, it sends power to the fuel pump circuit to prime.

Let me see if I can dig up a wiring diagram for it.

·
Jitterbug
1,086 Posts
One side effect of that is that the pump will continue to run if the airbags deploy. Std car will shut off the pump to a)stop the engine and b) stop fuel being sprayed at high pressure from a fuel system leak caused by the accident.

Wiring the pump direct to ign on will bypass this safety feature (whichj has been on all cars for at least 10yrs.

Just be aware.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i finaly found the wire, the car has no airbags, now i have to try to figure out my evap problem is there any way to bypass that i took the canister off as well thanks

·
Jitterbug
1,086 Posts
i finaly found the wire, the car has no airbags, now i have to try to figure out my evap problem is there any way to bypass that i took the canister off as well thanks
No airbags from new or you removed them?

Either way, ALL Fi systems in modern times have a safety switch to cut the pump in the event of an accident. only bypass that knowingly. And don't sell the car in that state, you would be hugely liable in most jurisdictions.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alright heres the story, i bought this car new in late 99 and started customizing it. one thing led to another and then another, i just carried it from show to show it hasent had a tag on it in about 7 years. i just ran a transport tag on it. it has 68000 miles on it now. i cannot get a transport plate on it anymore. i have to get it inspected so i can get a tag it. i know i will never get rid of it cause its kinda special to me just tryin to get it as legal as possible thanks again.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,916 Posts
Be careful with your safety inspection if you don't have air bags since they came in the car.

·
Jitterbug
1,086 Posts
alright heres the story, i bought this car new in late 99 and started customizing it. one thing led to another and then another, i just carried it from show to show it hasent had a tag on it in about 7 years. i just ran a transport tag on it. it has 68000 miles on it now. i cannot get a transport plate on it anymore. i have to get it inspected so i can get a tag it. i know i will never get rid of it cause its kinda special to me just tryin to get it as legal as possible thanks again.
Thanks for the story! :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
could you give me any info on the wire color, i thought i had it but now not so sure there isnt a harness in the door anymore just the plugs in the kick panel
thanks again

1 - 13 of 13 Posts