NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm pretty sure my clutch is failing (the throwing into 4th gear test showed some slippage, one shop confirmed). What I'm struggling with is the type of transmission I have. I saw a picture in the other thread and it seems these cars are generally fitted with O2J transmissions (which would make the clutch kit I want the same as the one in the how-to thread) but I was curious if it is possible that there is a different type of transmission in there or that that same clutch kit for 2001-2005 wouldn't work with 2000. I ask because some websites throw back Sachs Clutch and Flywheel Kit K70038-02F as being compatible and some don't when I enter the same specs, whereas all of them bring back that kit for 2001. Much gratitude to all of you guys as the discussions you have on the forum here as very informative.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Called dealership and they let me know (that they all should have OJ2 transmissions). They were also kind enough to offer the clutch kit for one low time price of $899 (1700 installed).

·
Registered
14,058 Posts
I don't know about the Sachs kit but you might consider a Valeo SMF conversion clutch kit; they are reasonably priced and have gotten good reviews. The whole design; is made to try to replicate the DMF style of the stock unit, while eliminating the dual mass flywheel with a single mass flywheel design.

Valeo Conversion Kits

Valeo Clutches » Products » Clutch Kits » Clutch Conversion Kits :: Solid Flywheel Conversion :: Valeo Clutches

You might contact them; for correct application for your car:

Valeo Service North America
301 West Park Lane
Hampton, VA 23666
Phone - (757) 827-0310

Technical Support and Customer Service (Hours 8 AM - 5 PM (Eastern Time) Monday - Friday)
Phone - (888) 71-VALEO (press option 1 for our division)
Fax for orders and other documents for customer service - (757) 826-2120
Customer Service Email: [email protected]
Accounting Email: [email protected]

When it comes to the sachs stuff; you might call their tech support line for specific application info:

Passenger Cars
and Light Trucks
Customer Service & Technical Hotline
1-800-321-0784

ZF Friedrichshafen AG | Technologies made by ZF

1 - 3 of 3 Posts