NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Beetle 1.8T. I have been having an issue with something with the A/C unit.
When I turn on the A/C with the A/C button pushed and lit, there is a knocking that randmoly starts coming from the engine compartment, typically when I am stopped at a red light.
I can rev up the engine or once I start driving again it stops, but then will start knocking again once I stop. It doesnt do it every time but it does it randomly only when stopped. When I come to a stop and I start hearing the knocking if I push the A/C button to turn off the A/C it stops knocking so my assumption would be that it is something with the compressor, but I just dont know for sure. Anyone know what it could be or what I should look into?

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,634 Posts
Off the top of my head, check both radiator fans. The wife's NB does the same thing and it is because the outer ring of the fan is broken between the blades; which causes the fan to wobble and make the knocking sound.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Off the top of my head, check both radiator fans. The wife's NB does the same thing and it is because the outer ring of the fan is broken between the blades; which causes the fan to wobble and make the knocking sound.
I checked all of the areas around the fans, check the alternator, changed the serpentine belt, the tensioner was bad so i replaced that, but still have the knocking.. I am still troubleshooting this, I did some research and I have found out that it could either be the bearing inside the clutch of the compressor, could be low freon, low oil, or could be the compressor going bad.. Anyone happen to know if any of these are correct?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts