NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
BEAR
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a cheap Beetle that cranks but will not start. 124,000 miles. First question: if the timing belt is broken then will the vehicle still crank? Anything else I should check first?

Thanks, Bear

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Yes, engine will likely crank if the timing belt broke.

Could be many other things as well.

Can of starting fluid rules out fuel problems quickly.

Could be a crank sensor as well.

Compression test, fuel pressure test can be easy first steps along with a OBD code reader.

·
Registered
14,052 Posts
I would check the basics; see if the timing belt looks ok and if the timing marks line up and then, if you can scan it with a VW type scanner... you could get some clues as to what is happening. Yes, the car; will still crank but it might sound different (lack of compression); if some of the valves are bent (which motor; is it? TDI, 2.0L or 1.8T?). A compression test would tell you if any of the valves got bent. If it is beyond your abilities; I would have the car professionally evaluated; to see what is going on, that way... you know what you are getting yourself into! Once you own it; its your problem and any problems are your responsibility. Worst case scenario; it could be thousands of dollars worth of repairs or it could be as simple as a crank sensor or fuel pump; you never know. At this point; you are flying blind and have no idea! Once, you get the car diagnosed; you could also, use the repair costs as a bargaining chip, if you are still willing to deal with the repairs and overall condition of the car. Good luck and let us know; how things go, as you move forward with the car.

·
BEAR
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies. I will let you know how it turns out. I use to work as a service writer for Toyota and have many friends to help me do repairs locally. I needed a place to start and the tendencies of the vehicle. I a familiar with the no compression crank of a broken timing belt in a Toyota but Toyota motors are non interference so no bent valves. I am actually wanting to tear down a New Beetle motor. The Theory being the more I know about the motor the less fear there will be in buying future projects. I have four kids, 23,18, 14 and 10. Would love to be able to build them all a Beetle to drive. Working on the 18 year old right now. A New Beetle would be a great college car in my opinion. Hopefully this one is cheap enough to make that happen.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Just be careful about a cheap college car!!!

More info, I see it is a 2000, what motor & transmission.

Except for the timing belt and bent valves, most items are pretty easy to work on. But if you have an automatic car, watch out, MANY problems with the automatic, not likely to leave you stranded, but will give you a lot of problems.

Not sure I will let me daughter take the 2003 GLX to school or not, I need to know I can trust it.

·
BEAR
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just be careful about a cheap college car!!!

More info, I see it is a 2000, what motor & transmission.

Except for the timing belt and bent valves, most items are pretty easy to work on. But if you have an automatic car, watch out, MANY problems with the automatic, not likely to leave you stranded, but will give you a lot of problems.

Not sure I will let me daughter take the 2003 GLX to school or not, I need to know I can trust it.
what years had the trans trouble?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Most problems in the O1M auto, which is the 4-speed. But really, most of them are problematic, even the 6-speeds. Lots of info here on them. Valve body failures, complete failures. Hubby got his '01 Jetta TDI with a dead auto. Completely destroyed. Car wouldn't move forward and couldn't be rolled backwards. And it only had 114k on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've replaced it all

2000 vw beetle 2.0 running then died. Cranks but wont start. Timing belt is good, replaced fuel pump, engine speed sensor, 409 relay and it blows the #29 fuse, as soon as you turn the key to the on position. What next - - ignition switch???

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Tatonka:

Please "Stick" with one post or "Thread" regarding your issue. Having more then one trying to resolve the issue can get confusing.

S-

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Sorry just learning the forum thing....So do I start a new thread?????

Yes please :)

Be sure to be as detailed as possible. Include area you reside in (in case any local members would be able to assist), year make model, sub model and engine type/drivetrain (std or auto)

All these little details can help others kinda pin point problems others have run across.

And of course the biggest detail? What the car is exactly doing, or not doing..and if anything has been changed prior to the car acting up. (eg: Did an oil change, and now it blows smoke out the tail pipe....Did a tune up and now won't start...)

It may take a bit of time to respond, but stick with it!

S-

1 - 12 of 12 Posts