VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2000 Beetle ran for 2 year without problem. One day it did not start (2 days before that, it started but it sound a little bit hard). I replaced starter, battery but it still. I scanned and got a code " throttlr actuator low signal" ( i forgot the code#). I replace throttle body and MAF sensor, timing belt, but still did not work. After 10 months trying without success, last week my friend took a test on fuel injector plug and saw that no signal came out when start. I decided to replace ECM. I bought a ECM from a wreck 1999 Beetle, model # 06A 906 018 CR / 0 261 206 086 ( my car's ECM model # 06A 906 018 EN / 0 261 206 407). After i installed ECM, the car start right away ( thanks God! after 10 months tried over and over). But now, it has another problems: check engine light is on, the car runs but hard to shift to 2nd gear ( just shift when rpm go to 6000RPM!!!!) and that's all, no 3rd, 4th gear shifted. I scanned and got code P0722 " output shaft speed sensor circuit no signal"
Can anybody help me solve this problem, please
-Is replaced ECM not compatible cause this problem?
-If not, why its transmission worked good before the car has starting problem ( cause by bad ECM, as i stated)?
Where is "output shaft sensor located?
P/S: Oh, I forgot to tell the car has some weird symtoms:
- some time ABS light come out for no reason: I turn on the rear defrost or tun on A/C. I checked the ABS fuse and see fuse still work, but to make sure, i replace the fuse and ABS light gone. This happen couple times
- a month before it stop starting, sometime i see the clock go to 12:00 when I go to work in the early morning. I think power was disconnected in the night, but if so, why i can start the car?

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
If the speed sensor for the transmission isn't functional, you're shift points won't be functional either. They will be all shades of screwed up.

If you have access to a scan tool with live data, or a laptop with VCDS-- Drive the car and check out what the computer is recording the speed as.

I believe what has happened--is that you have some electrical gremlins that have surfaced during your car's down time. This could be due to just oxidation of connectors, battery terminals could be goobered up with corrosion, etc...

You will want someone with VCDS to do a full scan of the entire computer system/sub systems to get a feel about how screwed up this is. OBDII scanners are good, but they only report emissions and general drive issue codes.

I think most likely you'll find either a corrosion issue, or maybe a rodent went to town on your harness somewhere.

S-

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought exact like yours. I try to look for the wire system but I don't know where I start from. I download a 2 versions of VCDS into my laptop but they don't recognize the cable ( i bought this cable in ebay), so I couldn't scan it. Thanks for advice.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ECM compatible

So, ECM model # 06A 906 018 CR will work on 2000 beetle 2.0 ?
Anybody know about this ECM compatible?

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I doubt it will be compatible unless the last two characters match. Those are the version code.

Is your engine an AEG code? I think all 99's were AEG.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still have no luck with this car

I don't see engine code on cam shaft cover.
Today I buy a right ECM ( same model # with previous one). After install, turn on key for 10 min, and star : it start for 1-2 second and stop.
This raise some question to me:
- Why the ECM #06A 906 018 CR ( not for this car) works but the right ECM # 06A 906 018 EN does not work?
- Is there any possible cause that immobilizer in ECM EN model stop the engine from start?
- If so, why ECM CR model does not?
- How to deal with immobilizer?

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
On the front of the engine with the pulleys there should be a white sticker with a bar code. The sticker has a set of numbers and letters written on it. The bar code sticker will be placed on the timing belt cover (or Camshaft belt cover-same thing) It's right on top on that cover.

Vw Engine Code - How To Your Vw Engine Code

In regards to a possible immob problem. There will be a light on the cluster that looks like a yellow key built into a yellow car. The way it kicks in---start the car--car starts--key matches the immob code in the cluster--car stays running and that light is 'off'. If the immob is tripped-the light will start to flash and then the car will shut down within a few seconds.

S-

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
The immobilizer is kicking in with the new ECU. 99s don't have an immobilizer which is why you didn't have any issues with it, in that respect. You'll need to get everything matched up so you'll need vagcom. You may need the full blown version for that but I'm not sure. I know Ross-Tech has info on their site on matching ECUs and such. You need to at least get a better cable so you can use the software.

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
The immobilizer is kicking in with the new ECU. 99s don't have an immobilizer which is why you didn't have any issues with it, in that respect. You'll need to get everything matched up so you'll need vagcom. You may need the full blown version for that but I'm not sure. I know Ross-Tech has info on their site on matching ECUs and such. You need to at least get a better cable so you can use the software.

Biggest issue with eBay cheap o cables is the driver software to get the thing to be seen by winblows.

I know, because I had the same exact issue with the one I purchased, and the baby CD was useless.

I wound up researching the cable as a generic one..and finally found the drivers to make it work.

S-

·
Registered
758 Posts
CDs for any sort of computer peripheral are next to useless these days. It's almost always better just to go to the company's website and download the latest and greatest drivers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To make immobilizer woking with new ECM seems like to much effort. Can I use ECM of 99' Beetle, model # 06A 906 018 CR, instead?. If I use this ECM, will any problem ? As I said, when I install this ECM the code P0722 come on. Is it fault reading or sensor has problem? Last night when I replaced that ECM by a 2000 ECM # 06A 906 018 EN, I scanned and still got the code P0722. Does my car have this sensor problem?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
P0722 Volkswagen

P0722 Volkswagen - Output Speed Sensor No Signal

PDF Share Code
0 P0722 Volkswagen Comments | Add Comment
Possible causes
- Faulty Speed Sensor
- Speed Sensor harness is open or shorted
- Speed Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
Help with Possible causes What does this mean?
When is the code detected?
The output shaft speed sensor failed to provide a signal to the TCM upon initial movement of vehicle.
Possible symptoms
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Speedometer improper reading
- Possible shifting problems
P0722 Volkswagen Description
The speed sensor detects the revolution of the idler gear parking pawl lock gear and emits a pulse signal. The pulse signal is sent to the Transmission Control Module (TCM) which converts it into vehicle speed.

Read more: P0722 Volkswagen Output Speed Sensor No Signal OBDII Engine Light Trouble Code | Engine-Codes.com

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
The primary problem; seems to be the speed sensor, your original ecu could be fine? I would think; the earlier ecu's would not be compatible with your car (n 99' they didn't even have a immobilizer; your 2000 does). Test/troubleshoot the speed sensor or replace it and go from there... you really could use access to VCDS or at least a Vgate VS450, for $50 (check amazon.com). At some point; when you really need to troubleshoot these cars; in a in depth way, VCDS almost becomes mandatory... the $250-$350 for the genuine Ross Tech cable and software... will pay for itself many times over, reduce your brain damage, frustration and save you thousands of dollars in repair fees... :cool: You will not regret; getting the real deal, the ROSS TECH VCDS! :D

http://www.ross-tech.com/

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The original ECM worked fine until the car stoped working. I checked i see no signal to fuel injector. I replace a 99' ECM and the car can start. working except engine light on, code P0722 detected, trans does not shift ....I bought 2000 ECM , now the car won't start because immobilizer.
Now, can I use 99' ECM (because at least the engine can start)and replace output speed sensor (G68)to fix the tranny shifting problem?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I have no clue about the ecu compatibility of the 99'/00' cars; seeing how, they added the immobilizer in 2000, I would think it wouldn't be. At this point; your most cost effective solution; and eliminating any need for coding or key matching process, is probably to send out your original ecu for repair. This would keep your key matching and immobilizer intact. The other option; if the other used 2000 vintage ecu you purchased, is indeed the correct one: is to send it to ian @ reflect tuning for a immo delete for $50 (no more immo problems). Contact Ian; for more info. (Look @ immobilizer defeat)

http://reflecttuning.com/shop/

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
Another question would be if the 99 ECU came from a manual or auto car, since it won't allow your transmission to shift.

I imagine e you could get the 99 to work but you'll need a functioning vagcom.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@ Smileybug:
I got ECM from a 99' auto trans Beetle. Do you mean I will have a problem with Vagcom? If so, why scanner just detected code P0722 only (no other code)?
@ Billymade:
I think if I use this 99 ECM, I will eliminate immobilizer problem ( the engine start good, run good). The only problem is "output speed sensor has no signal". I just wonder if this code is fault reading because of improper ECM replacement or it's right reading?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Why not repair your original ecu? Were you getting any codes; when the original ecu was in the car and was the transmission, shifting fine... before all this ecu swapping was done and the car was running? :confused:I'm just wondering; if adding all of these (potentially) incompatible parts to your car; is just adding more confusion, to your troubleshooting process? If you had a known good/repaired; original ecu, it would make things, a heck of allot easier to troubleshoot. As it is; you have added a lot of variables; to your troubleshooting process.

From my understanding; to correctly "add" a new ecu to your car, you need VCDS to "match" things together... seeing how, you don't have a working version of VCDS to do this process.... repairing your original ecu, seems to be the least expensive and least brain damage creating solution, to your problem.

At this point; you do not have the tools (VCDS) and potentially, the right parts? To do the correct; swapping of the ecu? I'm not trying to create confusion or give you wrong info but here are pages, that walk through the steps in VCDS:

Immobilizer II ECU Swapping - Ross-Tech Wiki

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Golf/Jetta/Bora_(1J/9M)_Immobilizer

You might contact; ian @ reflect tuning, with your problem/ecu issues and see what he advises, maybe he can provide a correct/compatible ecu, repair your original or delete the immobilizer in the possibly correct extra used ecu that you acquired. His responses to my questions; seemed to be helpful, to the point and timely. Seeing how; the weekend is upon us, I don't know how quickly or when he would get back with you... but it is worth a try.

http://reflecttuning.com/index.php/contact/

1 - 20 of 31 Posts