VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
New Beetle Nut
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Silver 2000 2.0 5 speed Beetle Eng Temp Blue on start up cold. After 10 seconds changes to flashing Red for approximate 3 miles.

Goes out and doesn't return till restart...

Changed the Temp sensor (held in with a plastic pull tab) no difference.

Not overheating - No codes - No engine alert on instrument panel.

Anyone with a solution?

best regards, steve

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
I would scan your car with a Vw compatible scan tool; check out the Vgate vs450 on Amazon or the ross tech VCDS. When my car had the blue temp light flashing, the wiring at the plug and cable terminal was broken off. Check the plug and wiring; if either is broken or damaged; go to your Vw dealer parts dept., for repair wire terminals and new plugs. Scan your car and post up those codes! Hope this helps!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
A red flashing temperature light indicates a low coolant level in the expansion tank. Chances are that your coolant level is very slightly low. When it is cold it is low but as it expands just a little while it warms it is OK. Be sure to add G12 or G12++ coolant. Universal types don't all work for VWs.

·
New Beetle Nut
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would scan your car with a Vw compatible scan tool; check out the Vgate vs450 on Amazon or the ross tech VCDS. When my car had the blue temp light flashing, the wiring at the plug and cable terminal was broken off. Check the plug and wiring; if either is broken or damaged; go to your Vw dealer parts dept., for repair wire terminals and new plugs. Scan your car and post up those codes! Hope this helps!

-------------------------------------------
Wiring at plug appears good - the scan tool I used is an Autel MAXSCAN VAG405.

thanks for your help.

·
New Beetle Nut
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A red flashing temperature light indicates a low coolant level in the expansion tank. Chances are that your coolant level is very slightly low. When it is cold it is low but as it expands just a little while it warms it is OK. Be sure to add G12 or G12++ coolant. Universal types don't all work for VWs.
--------------------------------------------------------
The coolant level in the expansion tank is good - I will replace the sensor at the expansion tank.

Your help is appreciated.
------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
This is what the Bentley manual says:

Blue warning light flashes: comes on to indicate a malfunction within the electrical section of the cooling system.

Probable cause:
A. Malfunction with the gauge, engine coolant temperature sensor (ECT) or wiring.

Corrective action:
A. Visually inspect ECT wiring in engine compartment.
B. Troubleshoot with suitable scan tool.

·
Rescued Beetle
7 Posts
Thermostat

I just replaced my radiator, which is a pain, and forgot to change the thermostat. I got the flashing red temp light then my upper radiator hose blew off and I lost all the g12 I just put in there that week. I put water in it and after affixing the hose back, I limped home. Then replaced the thermostat and it's driven for 2000 miles perfectly. It's easy to do and may be going bad if you're getting the flashing red for a while then it goes out. Once it gets warm the thermostat will open like it should and you have no problem, but only after it sends a warning signal. YouTube the video to change it, it's easy.

·
New Beetle Nut
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just replaced my radiator, which is a pain, and forgot to change the thermostat. I got the flashing red temp light then my upper radiator hose blew off and I lost all the g12 I just put in there that week. I put water in it and after affixing the hose back, I limped home. Then replaced the thermostat and it's driven for 2000 miles perfectly. It's easy to do and may be going bad if you're getting the flashing red for a while then it goes out. Once it gets warm the thermostat will open like it should and you have no problem, but only after it sends a warning signal. YouTube the video to change it, it's easy.
---------------------------------------------------------
I will replace the thermostat - thanks for your suggestion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts