VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2000 volkswagen new beetle GLS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so, i previously posted a thread about the fuel gauges of another cluster but i ended up buying a audi tt mk1 cluster from a junkyard.

So here's the issue, the volkswagen tt, doesn't seem to use CAN bus to detect the engine RPM or temperature gauge, abs and other things that the beetle does.

Anyway i ran into a problem while doing a cluster swap, for the audi tt, The RPM gauge uses a wire that goes somewhere so the cluster can read the engine rpm, while on the volkswagen beetle cluster all of that is controlled by the CAN bus.

Do any of you guys know where could i connect the rpm wire so the cluster reads the rpm? I saw that early models of the beetle also had the single engine rpm cable, but I'm not sure where exactly that cable goes to.

See the 11 pin on the blue connector for the audi tt cluster.

If i receive help, i would be glad to guide others to do the cluster swap from a audi tt.

I would also be doing the air vents and shifter from the same audi tt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Okay so, i previously posted a thread about the fuel gauges of another cluster but i ended up buying a audi tt mk1 cluster from a junkyard.

So here's the issue, the volkswagen tt, doesn't seem to use CAN bus to detect the engine RPM or temperature gauge, abs and other things that the beetle does.

Anyway i ran into a problem while doing a cluster swap, for the audi tt, The RPM gauge uses a wire that goes somewhere so the cluster can read the engine rpm, while on the volkswagen beetle cluster all of that is controlled by the CAN bus.

Do any of you guys know where could i connect the rpm wire so the cluster reads the rpm? I saw that early models of the beetle also had the single engine rpm cable, but I'm not sure where exactly that cable goes to.

View attachment 252566

If i receive help, i would be glad to guide others to do the cluster swap from a audi tt.

I see you have a 2000. What year did the audi cluster come out of. I know alot changed after 2001. Like our cars dont have immobilizers, and use the old style cable drive throttle, etc. I have a 1998 and would also be interested in a mk4 cluster swap or mk1 audi tt swap. also how would you mount the cluster. I dont know how to do fiberglass work. you might be able to pull that rev sensor and swap into your beetle. maybe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
what year beetle do you have? I have a 1998 and would also be interested in a mk4 cluster swap or mk1 audi tt swap. also how would you mount the cluster. I dont know how to do fiberglass work. you might be able to pull that rev sensor and swap into your beetle. maybe.
Im in South Carolina. If you cant get the cluster to work, send a pic of your receipt and ill buy the cluster + shipping and any custom stuff you made for it for whatever price we can work out

·
Registered
6 Posts

View attachment 252566

shoot. if you can make the custom cluster housings. I would love to buy one from you that will fit a mk4 jetta cluster. I really want the oil temp gauge and like the mk4 cluster better than the beetle

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
shoot. if you can make the custom cluster housings. I would love to buy one from you that will fit a mk4 jetta cluster. I really want the oil temp gauge and like the mk4 cluster better than the beetle
Well i have the 2000 beetle with the 98 computer to bypass the immobilizer but I've having some issues with the cluster because the one i got seems that wasn't designed to work with CAN and well i did make it work, i used the mk1 tt cluster but i removed the stepper motors and i used the stepper motors on the jetta cluster and i used the jetta cluster board as a driver for the gauges and that's basically how i make it work, and well im just happy it works.
Here's a picture

I haven't figured out the consumption cable, im still working on it, but you can see in the background the jetta cluster motherboard.
Also if you notice, the lights are blue on the cluster which I've never seen this cluster with those.

And here im working doing the shell for the cluster

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well i have the 2000 beetle with the 98 computer to bypass the immobilizer but I've having some issues with the cluster because the one i got seems that wasn't designed to work with CAN and well i did make it work, i used the mk1 tt cluster but i removed the stepper motors and i used the stepper motors on the jetta cluster and i used the jetta cluster board as a driver for the gauges and that's basically how i make it work, and well im just happy it works.
Here's a picture
View attachment 252624

I haven't figured out the consumption cable, im still working on it, but you can see in the background the jetta cluster motherboard.
Also if you notice, the lights are blue on the cluster which I've never seen this cluster with those.

And here im working doing the shell for the cluster
View attachment 252625
View attachment 252626 View attachment 252627
Lovely set up I would like to know how you bypassed the immobilizer thought we’d have to get it programmed if we disconnect are you saying leave the other one connected and just wire up the the original cluster board to the new one…I also want to put a Golf or Jetta one in for the temp garage as well. It’s just weird for me driving a car and not being able to see it gradually get hot …Will it affect the security system or the car as well?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello, it depends on what year of beetle you have, because you have to swap the computer from a 98 or early 99 so you can start the car without the immobilizer.

Only works until the 2005 beetle because of the engines, and its plug and play no need to re program, and yes a jetta cluster would work that was the one i was going for but then i saw the tt cluster and i decided to use it

Its plug and play with the exception of the low washer fluid light, but you can desolder the led as the beetles are not equipped with that sensor.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello, it depends on what year of beetle you have, because you have to swap the computer from a 98 or early 99 so you can start the car without the immobilizer.

Only works until the 2005 beetle because of the engines, and its plug and play no need to re program, and yes a jetta cluster would work that was the one i was going for but then i saw the tt cluster and i decided to use it
View attachment 252639
Its plug and play with the exception of the low washer fluid light, but you can desolder the led as the beetles are not equipped with that sensor.
Thank you for the information I have a 99 Beetle I will get someone to make a custom housing to fit the new cluster. The way you set it up did you leave the 98 or 99 circuit board in there and attach this to that for the immobilizer?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you know the moth it was created? You can check this on the paper where the vin is on the driver's door

If it's a model before may, you're good to go, if its after may, it has an immobilizer, another way to test if your car has an immobilizer is by disconnecting the instrument cluster and turning the car on, if the car stays running without the cluster you don't have, but if the car cranks but it shuts off after 2 seconds, your car has a immobilizer

·
Registered
35 Posts
Do you know the moth it was created? You can check this on the paper where the vin is on the driver's door

If it's a model before may, you're good to go, if its after may, it has an immobilizer, another way to test if your car has an immobilizer is by disconnecting the instrument cluster and turning the car on, if the car stays running without the cluster you don't have, but if the car cranks but it shuts off after 2 seconds, your car has a immobilizer
Thank you
I will double check tomorrow morning to be sure

1 - 10 of 10 Posts