NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a new pioneer radio and when i was done the car starts and then dies right away. The antitheft light is flashing along with the brake light. I drove this car for weeks with no radio and no issues. Can anyone give me some advice on how to bypass or fix this issue? I have read a couple of posts about the door lock sensor. Would that be the case if it worked all day and then just stopped woking after i installed the new radio. The car is a 2000 new beetle 1.8 turbo GLX 5 Spd APH.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump

anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

Is this a common problem with this year beetle?

·
Registered
762 Posts
More of, it is an issue with Magnet Merelli instrument clusters.

Beetles can suffer from this, the Immobilizer in the instrument cluster for whatever reason just looses the information. Do a key adaptation and then it is fine.... it may do it again 6 days later, or 6 years later... we just don't know.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
key adaption?

Sounds like a possibility what is or how do you do a key adaption?
Thanks

More of, it is an issue with Magnet Merelli instrument clusters.

Beetles can suffer from this, the Immobilizer in the instrument cluster for whatever reason just looses the information. Do a key adaptation and then it is fine.... it may do it again 6 days later, or 6 years later... we just don't know.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
update

So I fixed the problem with my Beetle. I had removed the instrument cluster to run a wire for the microphone for the radio. Cool little bluetooth feature so you make calls from the radio. Anyway I remembered that the purple clip was broken on the back of the connector that plugged into the cluster. So I removed the cluster and made sure the two connectors were installed correctly. Then I tried again to start and it died right away with the blinking yellow immobilizer symbol. Then I looked up key adaption and I didn't find anything really clear. So I just tried a bunch of different things together. I first disconnected the battery negative terminal first. Then with both of the cables away from the battery I had them touching to discharge any capacitors in the system. I left them there for about 30 minutes while I was doing something else. Then I reconnected the cables positive terminal first. Then I put the key in the door and remembered that someone had said something about the drivers door sensor not working and tried the trunk. I turned the key to the left two or three times. Then I put it the drivers door and then lockd and unlocked a couple times and the door sensor finally started working. Then I got in the the car put the key in the ignition and it started right away. So I still have a bad door sensor but the car works now. Thanks for anyone that helped.

Brian J Redding
STAFF SERGEANT OF SOLDIERS
LEADER OF TROOPS

1 - 7 of 7 Posts