NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short.. I was talked into selling my truck for a car for my wife, and she found a "great deal" on a minor front end wrecked Beetle (damage was cosmetic, no air bag deployments or nothing)

Well, I've got that 90% sure.. just waiting on a few more parts.

So.. the horn.

When I press the horn on the points at the steering wheel I hear either a switch click, or a relay click...

I hooked up both horns to 12v, and they both worked flawlessly.
The panic button also makes the horns work.

I've checked the fuse, and I have no reason to suspect that the switch or wiring is bad...

So.. I'm thinking... new relay?
Its been sitting so long, through a hot humid summer.. so, I know electronics are vulnerable to these kinda conditions...

1. Where is the horn relay located?
2.Do you think it is indeed the relay
3.Any other suggestions (I'm only mildly mechanically able)

I don't want to put the front end all the way back together, only to have to take it to a shop to pay $400 or so to get a horn to work.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
If memory serves, the alarm horn is a different horn.

I'll get you the other info. Do you need any wiring diagrams, or can you even read them? Not being a smart a$$, just asking.

M.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So are you saying there is 3 horns on the car?
The front end is like a puzzle to me, I have no idea what goes where when it comes to one or two connectors, and now there is supposed to be a third horn somewhere?

yes, please let me know where that dang relay is.

I can, for the most part read a wiring diagram, yes.

I appreciate your help.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
As I remember, and this simply occured in my reading way back, the audible signal on the alarm system is produced by a separate component, but I'm going to have to try to veify that because I don't remember the validity of the source, and it doesn't realy make any sense, at least not right off, but then it's hard to figure why the VW engineers do a lot of things.

I'll get you the location and identifier for the horn relay. Let me know, via p/m if you need any wiring diagrams as you work through this or any other issues. Depending upon the accident, even though the air bags were not deployed, you may have seat belt issues, with any of the ones that were in use at the time of impact, and whether they "grabbed".

Here you go on the relay -
Bentley Fuse & Relay Panels – All Years
http://newbeetle.org/forums/attachments/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/87093d1315879505-fuse-card-fuses-relays-all-years.pdf
Dual Horn Relay, Main Relay Panel, lower relay panel, Pos 1 (bottom row, far left) "53"

M.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Yes, there are 3. The alarm horn is right in front of the windshield, the other 2 are behind the bumper on each side.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, there are 3. The alarm horn is right in front of the windshield, the other 2 are behind the bumper on each side.
Thats kinda interesting, as I only have two down my the driver's side wheel where the bumper would be. I haven't taken the air induction stuff off to notice a third horn.

But in any case, there are two down on the driver's side inside the non-existent bumper. So you are saying, there is a third horn missing that might be the honking horn? I'm confused. Or you are...one of us. I don't see a connector for a horn on the passenger side.

Depending upon the accident, even though the air bags were not deployed, you may have seat belt issues, with any of the ones that were in use at the time of impact, and whether they "grabbed".
Nah, everything is straight as an arrow, really. It was more of a plastic parts breaker kinda thing.. probably pulled into a post or something. Its just that the guy that owned it lied to me about the parts I needed, and their cost. Plus theres random little odds and ends that I have no idea that go to what.

I've got over $2500 into this car with 100k miles on it, and still gotta spend another few hundred. I learned this lesson as a teen, but my wife insisted, now she learned the hard way. In the meantime, I suffer by sharing and making double trips in my van that gets 13mpg, and has a bad blower motor (no a/c, but hey.. the head blows when I'm moving fast enough!)..between work and school..ugh..

No check engine lights.. etc.
Just the brake pad indicator.. man, those things are nasty. I'm probably going to replace the rotors while I'm doing that.

Oh, and I still have to replace the electronic fan control module.. as the fans don't come on to cool the car, but kick ok at random, and stay on...
etc etc etc.

I kinda hate this car, but have too much into it to give up, and cannot afford the loss.

So again, I appreciate everyones help.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
No, the alarm horn is up in front of the windshield, it's working, so exactly where is not important.

Parts don't need to be near what you may be paying, I'll p/m you a list of online VW Dealers Parts Depts, and authorized Resellers. Need to shop every part, every source as parts can vary ny as much as double, from part to part, AND seller to seller.

I'll also post up the Bentley diagnostics for the a/c system and cooling fans.

In the meantime, you can go here for a lot of good general information as a new New Beetle Owner.
http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-member-forum/51021-newbie-welcome-kit.html

M.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
p/m sent.

I'm posting up an enlarged shot of the main relay panel, the one in the .pdf attached above is hard to read...

Anyone know the easiest way to access the front of this panel? Lower driver's dash panel removal?

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
VW beetle horn not working

have a 1998 VW beetle I've changed the fuse and relay still no horns have any more ideals?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts