NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my daughter a 2000 Beetle GLS. It only came with one key. Also, the only key it came with has a weird single center button key that does not work as a remote or alarm switch or anything. So I have 2 issues.
1) I really have to have a second key if not 2 more keys.
2) A working remote would be good to have but not overly needed.

I contacted my local VW Dealer. They have not been able to get a key for my 2000 since 2011...
Contacted a locksmith who never has seen the single button key that I have.

Looking for help. Firstly, how can I figure out what key I have for my 2000 GLS if the dealer won't even help!! Second, I found many chipped keys online, but again, no clue as to exactly what I might need. Third, I am thinking the key I have was actually the spare and that the remote key has been lost, so how do I find the correct remote?
The locksmith can program and cut a key for $250 which is CRAZY!!! First and foremost, I need help finding the correct key/remote. Then I will work on the cutting and programming.
Thanks in advance

·
5/23/10 <3
11,010 Posts
This site has all the info you need on keys, programming, and matching to the car. They also sell keys, remotes, etc.

Sidewinderkey.com

·
Registered
12,126 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought 2 keys. Crazy price. I also had to buy the program since there isn't anyone who does programming (including lock smiths) around my area.

·
Registered
12,126 Posts
Where did you get your keys? The above two vendors; aren't too bad compared to the vw dealer. What software did you get to program the keys?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I purchased my key through the link that is above as well as the software. Unfortunately, my local VW dealer will not cut keys or program them (no clue why not). So I have these 2 keys and software that I don't know how to use, I am not a car guy, nor a computer guy and somehow I have to figure out how to program my computer (Windows 7) to work with XP software via a link or shortcut or something like that. $270 for 2 keys, a remote and the program. I should have never bought the stupid car. What a giant scam these keys are. If I can get my car keys programmed, I am going to be looking to dump this program and cord. I will sell the car before I go though these key things again.. (Yes, I am a bit angry about spending almost 25% of what I paid for the car for 2 keys)

·
Registered
12,126 Posts

·
5/23/10 <3
11,010 Posts
The cost really stems from the style of cut and the immobilizer. All modern cars are like this now, so the cost isn't unusual.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Keys were purchased through Sidewinder. Mark was great with a lot of great info. However, that still doesn't get my keys programmed. I have to do that. The keys and cut look great. Software is vagTACHO and it came with a cable to hook from the car to a computer. From what I understand though is that the program works really well with XP, but there is some sort of patch or something that will need to be done to run it off 7.
There are a few things wrong with the car, but having a spare key was extremely important. No, I have not tackled the programming of the keys or the remote yet.

·
Registered
12,126 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts