NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
sticker whore!
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I am new to the forum, but I have been google searching this issue and haven't really come up with anything difinitive. I am a BMW guy and this is our first VW... so I know almost nothing about the engine.

Anyway, my wife's Beetle 1.8T manual has a mystery coolant leak. There is no puddle on the ground when not running. I haven't tried looking while it was idling to see if it drips. However after about 3 or 4 days of driving the coolant level light comes on and the level is genuinely low. I put more coolant in and again, 3 days later it happens. `From what I am told, it could be the oil cooler area or the flange for the coolant temp sensor, which apparently are notorious 1.8T leak spots. The water pump and timing belt need to be changed, so that is in the works. But for now, I really want to just find the leak and stop it so the wife can drive it worry free.

Thanks in advance! I am lost here.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Coolant leak - water pumpS

It's been a few years since I endured mystery leaks, overheating issues. I took it to my guy who worked on imports, but apparently NOT fluid in VW.
Point is there are two water pumps not one. If original, the pumps will have plastic impellers that break up. So make sure you buy replacements with metal impellers and THOROUGHLY flush the system. Or do it a few times like I did. Good luck.:D

·
Registered
14,052 Posts
Pesky leaks; can be hard to find, they usually can be seen... by a pink crusty residue but a pressure test is the best way to find a elusive leak. I bought a pressure test kit from HF; pressure test and it may require multiple, pressure cycles until you finally find it. The most common areas are: coolant flanges (temp sensor and thermostat) and the pipe in front of the engine block.

This kit; has the correct adapter for our VWs and for most other cars on the road, and I am pretty sure, including your BMW:

Radiator Pressure Tester Kit
Pittsburgh Automotive - Item#69258 (google: "harbor freight coupon" for a extra 20% off)

Radiator Pressure Tester Kit

If you already; have a Stant type kit, you can buy the adapter by itself:

Assenmacher FZ41 Radiator Adapter For Stant For Audi, VW AND Porsche Cayenne

STANT ENGINE COOLING SYSTEM TESTER ADAPTER 12036

https://www.google.com/search?q=sta...essure+tester+adapter+for+volkswagen&tbm=shop

Some people; have gone on the cheap and made their own adapter. They did this by, using a old coolant tank cap and drilling a hole and putting a schrader valve or adapter to fit their pressure testers.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
leaks

Another leak that's hard to find is the water pump leaks a little while you're driving and comes out by the bottom metal cover that protects the crank pulley and timing belt. good luck man.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts