NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im new to this forum and in need of some serious help.. My girlfriend has a 2000 beetle and its been nothing but problems for the last 3 months.. We had to have the transmission replaced about a month ago and now the car is throwing nothing but codes nonstop.. the codes we get are P0730, P0715, AND P0722.. I ended up taking the car to Volkswagen and they just ended up replacing the fuse box holder on top of the battery but the problems are still coming back... If anyone can please help me get this car running again or know what could cause these issues to keep happening i would really appreciate it.. thank you in advanced

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
You can look up codes here:

Ross Tech Wiki:

17114/P0730/001840 - Ross-Tech Wiki

P0715 Volkswagen Input Turbine Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction OBDII Engine Light Trouble Code | Engine-Codes.com

P0722 Volkswagen Output Speed Sensor No Signal OBDII Engine Light Trouble Code | Engine-Codes.com

The first code; looks to be a trans issue, I would return it to the place that did the replacement and have them check it out. Was the replacement transmission; used, new or rebuilt etc. ?

The second/third codes:

Looks like; a speed sensor failure or the wiring to the speed sensor is having problems. If they just replaced the transmission; I would take it back to them! Maybe they damaged the speed sensor/wiring/plug or it isn't connected or intermittently having connection issues?

Who did the transmission replacement; they should have some sort of warranty on their work... they need to fix the issue, since they worked on it last.

You could also; replace or troubleshoot it yourself; testing the wiring, also.. the sensor is not too expensive to replace.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can look up codes here:

Ross Tech Wiki:

17114/P0730/001840 - Ross-Tech Wiki

P0715 Volkswagen Input Turbine Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction OBDII Engine Light Trouble Code | Engine-Codes.com

P0722 Volkswagen Output Speed Sensor No Signal OBDII Engine Light Trouble Code | Engine-Codes.com

The first code; looks to be a trans issue, I would return it to the place that did the replacement and have them check it out. Was the replacement transmission; used, new or rebuilt etc. ?

The second/third codes:

Looks like; a speed sensor failure or the wiring to the speed sensor is having problems. If they just replaced the transmission; I would take it back to them! Maybe they damaged the speed sensor/wiring/plug or it isn't connected or intermittently having connection issues?

Who did the transmission replacement; they should have some sort of warranty on their work... they need to fix the issue, since they worked on it last.

You could also; replace or troubleshoot it yourself; testing the wiring, also.. the sensor is not too expensive to replace.
Thank you for the quick response ever since the car started with these issues ive been searching these forums for help. ive brought it back to where the transmission was replaced they did a rebuilt transmission. upon trying to fix the issues they replaced 2 sensors as well as both valve body covers after replacing that the car seemed to drive fine and then the issues came back.. less then a week ago i had a mechanic look and found that the p0715 code was due to a short in the wire itself by where the cabin air filter is.. He fixed the issue and after picking it up the engine light came back on that day.. could it possibly be the transmission harness?

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
I would look at the trouble code descriptions and troubleshooting info; I would have the codes cleared and see if they come back. It would help; to have the codes read with a VW compatible scanner, that way you get the VW specific factory codes and the Ross Tech Wiki would provide you with more specific troubleshooting help. It seems to me; with the thousands of dollars you spent at the transmission shop, they need to cover their work and make the car work correctly and trouble code free. What is the warranty on their repairs? If you end up SOL; then have to try to fix things yourself, investing in a VW compatible scanner would be a very good idea.

You can get a inexpensive one on amazon for less then $50.

Search for "VAG405";

Amazon.com: vag 405

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would look at the trouble code descriptions and troubleshooting info; I would have the codes cleared and see if they come back. It would help; to have the codes read with a VW compatible scanner, that way you get the VW specific factory codes and the Ross Tech Wiki would provide you with more specific troubleshooting help. It seems to me; with the thousands of dollars you spent at the transmission shop, they need to cover their work and make the car work correctly and trouble code free. What is the warranty on their repairs? If you end up SOL; then have to try to fix things yourself, investing in a VW compatible scanner would be a very good idea.

Search for "VAG405";

I am going to look into the vag405 but as of right now i have a mechanic looking at the car and wont know any information till hopefully tomorrow.. i was just hoping that maybe it was the transmission harness which was causing it to throw alot of the codes.. thank you billymade for your help

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Search for "VAG405";

I just spoke to my mechanic and he stated that the issues that I've been having are coming from the abs control module.. Is it possible that the module cause all these issues ?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Assume this is a 4 speed automatic?

I would question if there is rodent damage to the wiring under the cowl to the transmission wiring?

I would also think the ABS system has nothing to do with your problem as all the codes see to be related specifically to the transmission.

I would also think that maybe the problem is with the wiring harness inside the transmission? Many people seem to have issues with the 6 speed wiring harness and replace them when replacing the valve bodies or overhauling the transmission.

Not sure if this is due to insulation problems or more likley the tiny connectors on the harness that the plastic connectors easily break and/or the female terminals become loose and make bad connections.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Assume this is a 4 speed automatic?

I would question if there is rodent damage to the wiring under the cowl to the transmission wiring?

I would also think the ABS system has nothing to do with your problem as all the codes see to be related specifically to the transmission.

I would also think that maybe the problem is with the wiring harness inside the transmission? Many people seem to have issues with the 6 speed wiring harness and replace them when replacing the valve bodies or overhauling the transmission.

Not sure if this is due to insulation problems or more likley the tiny connectors on the harness that the plastic connectors easily break and/or the female terminals become loose and make bad connections.
yes the car is a 4 speed automatic. about 5 months back this when it all started throwing codes the abs and asr lights were the first. after about maybe 4 months that's when the transmission went while driving the car there was loud grinding noises and the car wouldn't move. after having the transmission replaced more codes popped up this is the list of codes that the car had within a month p0773,p0102,p0772,p0722, p0715, and p0730.. i was wondering could the transmission wire harness trigger all of these.. ive searched the codes individually and the problems they state are never the problem on this car. now my mechanic is saying its the module because its not registering the correct speed which is why the car cant correct to the correct gear

1 - 8 of 8 Posts