NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 beetle 2.0 automatic is in third gear and won't shift. I have engine codes 0722 & 0715, input and output speed sensor. I've changed both and still have the same issue. Any suggestions???

·
Registered
554 Posts
Kansascitytdi.com

This guy is the 01m expert, he could probably diagnose your issue over the phone. Having said that the 01m autobox was one of vw’s weakest transmissions. The long term cure is a 5 speed manual swap, however with the age and condition of the MK4 platform that is becoming less worthwhile. In the future just assume any 99-03 vw with an auto transmission is having problems and that’s why it’s for sale.

·
Registered
12,099 Posts
We have seen many issues, causing problems with the vw autos: sensor failures, compromised wiring harnesses (internal/external), valve body wear (solenoids sticking), shifter selector failures (computer doesn't know what gear it the trans is in) and worst case scenarios, internal trans problems requiring full disassembly to diagnose and replacement of failed parts.

We have seen success, troubleshooting things with a scan tool, like VCDS by Ross Tech and that way, you can observe live data, to see if the sensors are working or not. The fact you have the codes for the sensors, could indicate a wiring issue and from what you have said, replacement did not fix the issue. So, more troubleshooting is required but without a vw specific scan tool, it is hard to know what is going on.

Let us know, how you want to proceed with repairs, troubleshooting and what scan tool, you have access to. We can go from there. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply, I've checked the wiring from the ecm to the sensor and had positive numbers with my multimeter. My next is to make sure the fluid level is good then keep going. Do the check engine codes have to be cleared to reset the sensors?

·
Registered
12,099 Posts
Live data would be preferable; check out this video, to see the 01M being monitored with VCDS:

diagnosis of g68 no signal issue:

You might want to reset the basic settings; after any repairs to the tranmission, then test for results:

A VW specific scan tool; is required to do this and you must meet the listed conditions noted below:

There are some service bulletins listed for the new beetle and trouble codes for the speed sensors:
  • New Beetle (1C) platform would refer to TSB 01-07-17 for G68 faults and TSB 01-07-16 for G38 faults

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update* I've found there is a vacuum leak too. I'm not sure if the vw uses vacuum in the shifting. Can anyone advise?

·
Registered
12,099 Posts
There is a plastic vacuum pipe; that goes from the brake booster, to the transmission via down the firewall. these are typically broken/split; cause a vacuum leak and reduced brake performance. some times a high pitched vacuum squeal is noted, when you move the plastic pipe at the brake booster.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update I was driving the beetle and not only did the check engine light go off but the car started to shift properly. I'm still waiting for my vag scanner to come but so far everything is working. Thanks to all that commented.

·
Registered
12,099 Posts
So, did you make any changes, repairs or is it working correctly, seemingly on its own? After, you get the vw specific scan tool; be sure to do a full autoscan and post any codes you find. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I replaced the fluid and circulated it by driving. After that the car started in 2nd gear, shifted into 3rd at 4700 rpm then downshifted while stopping. I continued to drive it and it began to shift properly. There has been no issues since. When my scanner comes in I'll post any additional information. Thanks again

·
Registered
12,099 Posts
Be sure to check your fluid level; correct procedure, requires monitoring the fluid temps, as it fluctuates with thermal changes. Good to hear a fluid flush helped your problem! Good work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts