NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my bug, the antenna was missing. Yesterday, I picked up an antenna from a newer Jetta (auto wreckers) and it had a base that threaded in. It did not fit the base on my beetle. When looking into the base on the Beetle, I see no threads, just a piece of metal in a V shape. Looks like it takes some type of push in antenna. Or, someone grabbed the old antenna and just ripped it right out of the base and ruined the base.

Can anyone help me out on this? I could go back and take the base off the Jetta and install on my Bug, but lots of extra work...

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,634 Posts
The antenna does thread into the base; however is sounds like yours is broken off at the threaded end of the base. I am not certain if the same base is/was used on the Jetta and Bettle.

Have tried to see if you can get the "V" piece out?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
When I bought my bug, the antenna was missing. Yesterday, I picked up an antenna from a newer Jetta (auto wreckers) and it had a base that threaded in. It did not fit the base on my beetle. When looking into the base on the Beetle, I see no threads, just a piece of metal in a V shape. Looks like it takes some type of push in antenna. Or, someone grabbed the old antenna and just ripped it right out of the base and ruined the base.

Can anyone help me out on this? I could go back and take the base off the Jetta and install on my Bug, but lots of extra work...
It shouldn't be too hard to replace the base. Just drop the rear headliner a bit and the base should be held in place by a nut that holds the antenna base down. Shouldn't be too difficult. Just get a screw down Antenna and screw it into the new base. Done. You can also get a stubby antenna which looks a lot nicer than that long OEM one.

Here is a link to all sorts of cool Antenna's that will fit your Beetle once you got the base replaced. An yes, the Jetta MKIV antenna should fit the base of the New Beetle as long as the base is in tact.
2000 | Carccessory

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies...I think I will go back next week and get the base from the Jetta. My Base is obviously no good.

Ill let you know how I make out with this.

How hard is the headliner to remove??

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Thanks for the replies...I think I will go back next week and get the base from the Jetta. My Base is obviously no good.

Ill let you know how I make out with this.

How hard is the headliner to remove??
You don't have to remove it all the way, just enough to get to the locknut that holds down the Antenna base. Also be careful when you pull up on the base it has some plastic pieces around the base that could break if you are too forceful. I would get a new Base Gasket as well. http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Volkswagen-Roof-ANTENNA-BASE-GASKET-BRAND-NEW-/370513765865?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item56445765e9

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went back today and got the antenna base from the 2003 Jetta for $5. The install was easy, so thanks for the help.

Looks like my old antenna was ripped right out of its base by someone at some point...:shoot:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts