NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know why that we can't hear the radio or change channels? I thought it just needed safe code but I don't think that's it. Just had car worked on and figured it was where battery was unhooked. Any suggestions?? Help!

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
Maybe a problem with the antenna? That's weird, never heard of that before.. :confused:

·
5/23/10 <3
10,933 Posts
What was done on the car? Unhooking the battery puts the radio in safe mode, which is not this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just had the same problem after dead a battery. I followed the instructions in another thread. Pull the radio out, And unplug all the wires from the back. Wait one minute, and then plug it all back in. My worked on the first try.
Alternately, you can try just pulling the fuse for the radio. I did not try this myself, But please let us know if it works.
Also, you may want to make sure that you have your security code handy. It should be in the radio section of your owners manual.

Also check here
http://newbeetle.org/forums/car-audio/41019-radio-frozen-after-flat-battery-jump-start.html

·
Blurple Blast!
15 Posts
Anyone know why that we can't hear the radio or change channels? I thought it just needed safe code but I don't think that's it. Just had car worked on and figured it was where battery was unhooked. Any suggestions?? Help!
I'm resurrecting this thread because the radio in my daughter's car started acting this same way. I don't know what incident occurred to get it this way, but I am not getting any error codes on my ECS V-Checker Pro diagnostic tool. The tool allows me to do an output test on the radio which makes a deep bass 'blat' after which the radio will function until the car is shut off again. Can anybody provide a suggestion on what adaptation might need to be made (or corrected) to solve this issue? I wish I had a Bentley manual, but I'm trying to get the car in shape to sell, so spending 100 bucks on a manual just doesn't make sense. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
11,635 Posts
What is your head unit doing? Is it exactly same problem posted above? Please, tell us; specifically, what your particular problem is. Thanks.

Here are some free manuals online:

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals

·
Blurple Blast!
15 Posts
Thanks for asking!

Simply put: The radio sound does not come out of the speakers when the ignition is turned on. The face shows a station, which can be changed. Turning the volume knob apparently works too, because it will display 'MIN' when turned counter-clockwise a bit, and eventually 'MAX' when turned clockwise. Remember, there is no sound coming through the speakers.

I don't have a radio fault code, but when I run the output test on the radio, a deep bass blat comes through the speakers. When I exit that section of the diagnostics, the radio works fine until the ignition is shut off. Next time the car is started, the radio doesn't work again until the output test is run again, this includes the cd player, etc.

I have no idea why it started to do this, but sure would like to find a solution!

·
Registered
1 Posts
If the radio is stuck on 88.3 mhz then it just needs to be reset. I have a 2000 beetle and this happened when my battery went bad. To fix the problem you need to start the car and turn the radio on. Then pull out fuse #42 which is the 3rd one up from bottom right. Fuse box is on left side of dash. Pull out fuse for at least 30 seconds and then put back in. Turn radio on and it will come up 88.3 mhz but now you should have sound and be able to change stations. If not then try repeating with car turned to acc instead of starting it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
RayFinkle21. Sir. You are a genius. I followed your recommendation and when I powered up the radio, first the display said SAFE, then 88.3 again. I thought, well maybe I need to enter the safe code. I was looking though my manual for the safe code but could not concentrate because the radio was so loud. Then I though, you dummy. I hit the AM button and it changed, went back to FM and pushed any of the station buttons and they worked. Radio works perfectly. You easily saved me $150 plus a lot of headaches. Thank you so much. Wes Charles

1 - 9 of 9 Posts