VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

The car is a 2000 Beetle with a manual transmission, 2.0 ltr engine.

The rear pads were worn out so I replaced them, simple. However, I have a soft pedal now. When I compressed the rear caliper I opened up the bleeder valve to allow the piston to compress. Once the caliper was retracted I simply shut the valve and re assembled the brakes and put it all back together.

So, am I missing something to do here? Since I opened the bleeder valve, does that automatically mean I need to bleed the entire system? Or should I have adjusted the caliper piston so that it was tight after assembly? Or will it self adjust or " screw out" to make the pedal tight again?

Thanks for any input! :)

·
Registered
762 Posts
There is no need to open the bleeder when doing the rear brakes. But as it stands, it sounds like you've allowed air into the system and it needs to be bleed out.

Note that brake fluid is to be flushed out every 2 years anyway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea that's what I was kind of thinking any how as I am certain the system has not been bleed off in the past 2-4 years.

I should have went with my gut instinct on this one and not opened the bleeder valve, damn some of the stuff you can read online...

Any points of advice for bleeding the system off or is it just the basics?

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
Did you use the proper tool to spin the piston as you compressed it? Then, once the brakes were done, did you press the brake pedal fully a few times to seat the pads before starting the car? Those are two potential issues that come to mind.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes on compressing the pistons correctly. No I did not press the pedal prior to starting the car.

I will give it a try tomorrow though. And thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts