VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my 2000 VW Beetle has been in the shop (not dealership) for three weeks off and on. Intermittent stall while driving (not decelerating). No codes thrown. Replaced starter harness and spark plugs. Still stalling. Shop wants to start installing and removing various sensors as elimination, but this can be/is going to be a costly proposition. Any suggestions on where to start? No shudder or indication before stall, just check engine/ABS/oilpressure/seatbelt lights on - brake pedal up - get to the shoulder as quick as I can. Filters, hoses -- all good. :confused: Thanks for any help!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,606 Posts
I see you are in Raleigh. Where is the car? There is an excellent VW shop in east Raleigh.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,606 Posts
Apex Tuning?

I believe that the crank position sensor can cause stalling like this with no codes. If you search on here, I know I've seen it before.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, my 2000 VW Beetle has been in the shop (not dealership) for three weeks off and on. Intermittent stall while driving (not decelerating). No codes thrown. Replaced starter harness and spark plugs. Still stalling. Shop wants to start installing and removing various sensors as elimination, but this can be/is going to be a costly proposition. Any suggestions on where to start? No shudder or indication before stall, just check engine/ABS/oilpressure/seatbelt lights on - brake pedal up - get to the shoulder as quick as I can. Filters, hoses -- all good. :confused: Thanks for any help!

My daughters 02 is at the dealer right now with the same problem and they can not figure it out. It has done it twice 1 year apart. The second time she could have been killed..she was turning at a busy intersection when the road was clear only to find her self stuck in oncoming traffic . :banghead: I hope to figure it out..she is only 17

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
My daughters 02 is at the dealer right now with the same problem and they can not figure it out. It has done it twice 1 year apart. The second time she could have been killed..she was turning at a busy intersection when the road was clear only to find her self stuck in oncoming traffic . :banghead: I hope to figure it out..she is only 17
Is it at a VW dealer? If not, they may spend a lot of your money trying to figure out that the problem is the crank position sensor (also known as the "engine speed sensor"). I'm assuming that the check engine light is off and there are no stored error codes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I actually have the same problem and took my 2000 beetle to the dealer at a price of 195$ to diagnose the issue and the dealer says the plugs are the problem ...this is a temperamental vehicle and requires NGK or BOSCH PLUGS only the Auto lite plugs I put in worked for about 100 miles and starred to misfire but upon removal found no signs of misfiring ...HUH is my only response.
According to the dealer the next issue would be the spark plug wire which I replace as well and the next issue if thats doesn't solve your problem is the coil pack which I also have replaced e..All things I did in the parking lot of my apt complex in 2 hours with no special tools and limited amount of EXPLETIVES...LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts