NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased this beetle nearly 2 years ago. 2000 Beetle 5speed and was told that the motor was replaced a year or two earlier.Heres my problem, it began to over-heat and "knock" like the water pump or something is bad and it's overheating...another indicator that tells me water pump. So I have the Haynes manual and the pictures don't line up with what is there. Motor says:

2.0 with tag AZG 050923 / 09-06-01 / 01:42:12 (time made I am guessing) / 0838 / 66-8 .
on side of motor stamped a: 09E01
the engine light has stayed on and when I threw a DT GTE diagnostice meter is gave me 1128 (01/02)["long term fuel trim too lean"] and 1255 (02 of 02)["ECT circuit, open to short] which may not even be right with a different motor the books days

and there is no water pumped using the drive belt... I see the Alternator, the Air Conditioner and the Power Steering. Can anyone HELP me with what I need to look for or if there is a different motor in there and where the water pump is?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,155 Posts
Maybe post a picture? The AZG is a 2.0 engine code, from an '01 or newer car.

do you know how many miles are on this engine? And why do you say its overheating? Are you just getting the light? Other symptoms? A "knock" shouldn't really be the water pump.

Your codes should be accurate. Its a NB engine and as long as things are working, the ECU is hooked up right and everything. Your first code could be the MAF, or an O2 sensor most likely. The second code is a bad coolant temp sensor, which is a common, though cheap, problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts