NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Bug has been a repair nightmare and has spent most of the time in various shops. The current problem was the ABS and Brake light coming on. Fuse 9 (5amp) was blown. While checking under the hood, oil was low, so I added 1,5 qts 5W20 - the oil pressure light came on blinking and beeping. Then the gas guage, tach and speedo, as well as the interior clock are not working.

I changed several fuses and got the ABS and Brake light to go off, but the tach, fuel and spedo are not working and the oil pressure light is blinking and beeping although the oil level is fine.

·
Registered
11,588 Posts
The speedo clusters have been known to fail but I would make sure any electrical issues are sorted out first; anyway get the car scanned and see if any codes pop up. If you have a vagcom; the speedo cluster can be scanned to see if it is operating correctly (measuring blocks); meanwhile, any codes you get... may give you some clues as to what is going on. Have you had any low battery or changing issues lately? When the battery goes low; all kinds of weird things can happen... let us know! Hopefully, we can help! :)

Here is a example of a speedo repair service; they mention the typical issues that happen when they fail: VW Beetle (new shape) dashboard instrument cluster problems

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
This Bug has been a repair nightmare and has spent most of the time in various shops. The current problem was the ABS and Brake light coming on. Fuse 9 (5amp) was blown. While checking under the hood, oil was low, so I added 1,5 qts 5W20 - the oil pressure light came on blinking and beeping. Then the gas guage, tach and speedo, as well as the interior clock are not working.

I changed several fuses and got the ABS and Brake light to go off, but the tach, fuel and spedo are not working and the oil pressure light is blinking and beeping although the oil level is fine.
First off, 5w20 oil! :jawdrop: No, :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
I hope that's a typo. I can't even remember seeing 5w20 oil. That alone could be the cause of your oil pressure light as it measures pressure (which could be caused if the oil level was LOW enough), not oil level. Unless you're on the other side of the pond, and then yes, there is a light for that also (same position but yellow). Why would you run 5w20? The spec is 5w40 and OMG I hope it's not a Turbo. Did you add the oil because the light came on OR did the light come on after adding the oil, I'm not clear on that?

Now, the electrical issues. If fuse Pos 9 was blown (ABS), there was a cause, that the light is now off doesn't mean the problem is corrected. A fuse blowing is caused by an overload on the circuit or a short, most likely, whenever the situation that caused it to blow is duplicated it will blow again. What other fuses did you change? You don't say, but if they had to be changed to restore the light to off, although it may have simply reset itself when you changed the Pos 9 fuse (this might not happen immediately) it may be relative to that problem or the other ones you are having. More information.

Now, probably unrelated to the ABS and break light issue. The clock is not listed as being on a fused circuit, and this makes sense, as it is a very low voltage lcd display, that requires a memory, a computer probably provides this signal. Probably the same one that provides the rpm, speed, and fuel level signals to the instrument cluster, so I guessing the issue is not with the cluster unit. Think you have a candidate for a shop with the necessary equipment to get in and look at the OBD system. As stated, many gauges and sensors functionality can be checked with with the proper computer equipment, a VAG-COM for one.

MORAV

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts