NewBeetle.org Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
5/23/10 <3
11,173 Posts
That fan may just be dead. My drivers side one died. Not too bad to replace.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
But could that one fan not working cause overheating?
It could but only if you are standing still for a long time at idle. Once the car is moving air is flowing over the radiator cooling the coolant. Once I had issues with my fans only running on high because of a temp sensor. I disconnected both of them and I never once overheated because I never let the car sit long enough to heat up. I wouldn't recommend running without fans especially now that the weather is getting warmer but I doubt it's what causing the major overheating issue that you are experiencing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Update

Finally got our 2000 1.8 liter turbo beetle in the shop after replacing several hoses that kept blowing after idling a few minutes. Water pump was bad. Timing belt changed. mechanic said " it was off a couple T's" ?? What's that mean? He said its idling rough. We weren't experiencing that before. We did notice that there wasn't any power when driving up on trailer to take to mechanic. Now I'm worried there's a bigger issue or this guy has messed something up. We should know what they find tomorrow or Monday. Any thoughts?

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
Finally got our 2000 1.8 liter turbo beetle in the shop after replacing several hoses that kept blowing after idling a few minutes. Water pump was bad. Timing belt changed. mechanic said " it was off a couple T's" ?? What's that mean? He said its idling rough. We weren't experiencing that before. We did notice that there wasn't any power when driving up on trailer to take to mechanic. Now I'm worried there's a bigger issue or this guy has messed something up. We should know what they find tomorrow or Monday. Any thoughts?
Did you take it to someone that specializes in VW's? If he put the timing belt on a few teeth off he could've caused some serious damage. Although if the timing were off, generally it wouldn't start let alone run.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
We've been assured that this guy knows what hes doing and he does several vw's a week. As for what the place told us about the "t's " , he meant teeth. As in a " couple of teeth we're out" on the old belt. I asked if that would cause any major damage to the engine and he said no. It's running a little rough since its sat a while. Il hoping that's the Only reason. Weak power when pushing gas. Just started it to put it trailer to take it to shop. Before that, it ran fine. I'm worried something has messed up on motor since it overheated. We turned motor off as soon as we realized it was overheating that day. Only started while working on things and hasn't been driven since. The guy at shop is checking on why it's running rough now. They also found a small leak in radiator too.,ugh. I'm hoping this wasn't a $4000 mistake buying this bug. I hope you guys can give me some insight on what could be going on, what to expect and what to ask or accept from mechanic. Thanks

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
We've been assured that this guy knows what hes doing and he does several vw's a week. As for what the place told us about the "t's " , he meant teeth. As in a " couple of teeth we're out" on the old belt. I asked if that would cause any major damage to the engine and he said no. It's running a little rough since its sat a while. Il hoping that's the Only reason. Weak power when pushing gas. Just started it to put it trailer to take it to shop. Before that, it ran fine. I'm worried something has messed up on motor since it overheated. We turned motor off as soon as we realized it was overheating that day. Only started while working on things and hasn't been driven since. The guy at shop is checking on why it's running rough now. They also found a small leak in radiator too.,ugh. I'm hoping this wasn't a $4000 mistake buying this bug. I hope you guys can give me some insight on what could be going on, what to expect and what to ask or accept from mechanic. Thanks
The VW New Beetle has what is known as an "Interference Engine"
Meaning if the timing belt breaks there is going to be major engine damage at least to the head of the engine since the valves and the pistons will collide and valves will be bent and shot. Even if the belt jumps "only" a few teeth it still could cause valve damage and prior to starting any repairs a complete compression test should be performed on the vehicle. Changing a timing belt on a damaged head would be a very futile project since you will have to do it all over again after replacing or rebuilding the head. So make sure this expert mechanic will perform a compression test prior to slapping any parts on there.
BTW, a proper timing belt service should include: Timing belt, Accessory belt, water pump, new tensioner and pulley, thermostat and thermostat housing and also if needed a new cam seal.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Indytome

Hey indytom, It's good to see you back. Hadn't seen you in newbeetle.org in a while since that last time you were going to do your Struts and Timing belt. Let me know how that went later when u get a chance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well now I'm bummed out. Indy Tom, I hope what your telling me hasn't happened. I knew that timing belt failure could cause engine damage. I don't see how it could have bent a valve with it running as little as it has. Mechanic just called to see what we had done to car so he'd know how deep to look for cause of it running rough now. He'd already changed water pump and timing belt. This car has sat about 3 months so hopefully the rough idling is from that. I was really hoping for some less worry some scenarios of the rough idling. If you have any, please share. I don't know if this guy is or has done a "compression" test on it. Not sure if I should be telling him what I think he should do since he's the mechanic. Some don't like that. Should I? Also, if head is blown, valve or piston damaged, what kind of cost am I looking at? "crossing fingers and ties"

·
5/23/10 <3
11,173 Posts
I'd be worried about some damage. Hard to say a cost if there is because it all depends on how much is actually damaged.

You are paying this guy. If you want him to do something, he should do it. If he won't, then he obviously doesn't want your money that bad.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts