VW Beetle Forum banner

2000 Beetle Turbo

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Oyveychris 
#1 ·
Okay,
I have cash burning a hole in my pocket and want a New Beetle badly, and have looked at several. Today I test drove a 2000 turbo, fully loaded w/50,000 miles. I think something was wrong with the car because it had absolutely no pick up! I realize that being an automatic would slow it down somewhat, but man this thing was slow! I told the owner my thoughts on the subject and he seemed to think the car needed a tune up. What do you guys think? I'm no stranger to volkswagen, especially the 1.8, but do you think something as simple as a tune-up would solve this cars apparent lack of get up and go? Also there was a sound like a shop vac under the hood for a little less than a minute, then it stopped, what was that? I have the Turbo "bug" and dont want to chicken out...

#2 ·
Is the Bug at a dealership? If so, have it checked out before buying.

The fan could be the cooling fan, it comes on to cool the turbo.

CarFax, and written warranty. Two very good things.

Good luck to you. Sounds like you have it bad! ;)

#4 ·
yep, it's at a small dealership. He's supposedly selling it for his son's girlfriend, so the history is at best, dubious. There are a coupl of other cars in the area that I'm going to look at tommorrow. They both have fewer miles, but are alas, non turbo....:(

#7 ·
If you want a fast turbo or you think you may mod the engine later go far a late 2001 or newer with the engine code AWP. And there are plenty of turbo bugs out there don't settle for one that you have to wonder about why it isn't pulling its own weight.

#8 ·
Just needs a new diverter valve, it's actually a pretty sweet little car. I noticed that my car does not have the manual switch to deploy the rear spoiler for cleaning etc. Anybody out there figure out a way around it?

#9 ·
Oyveychris said:
Just needs a new diverter valve, it's actually a pretty sweet little car. I noticed that my car does not have the manual switch to deploy the rear spoiler for cleaning etc. Anybody out there figure out a way around it?
it's there, it's somewhere between the steering column and the scan port, on the underside of the dash.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.