VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how to post and hope I'm doing this right.

I own a 2000 beetle and it is giving me the blues. It wouldn't start. I put a starter on it. And it has been problems ever since. The mechanic said it was the starter anyway. I go to pick it up and no start. He says it had been running fine. Please leave it and I will figure it out. We picked it up and it started and ran. But only for a little while. Now it won't start unless you jump it or push it and pop the clutch. They say the battery is fine. Please help. The only other thing is the key. I bought keys online and he put the code in them and had one cut. They will unlock and lock the doors. But won't start the car. It shuts off right after it starts. We have the key that came with the car. But it is broken and you have to put the two pieces together to start the car. The mechanic taped it together till he can get the other code for the key. Evidently it has 2 codes. Can anyone help me?

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Starting in 2000 VW put immobilizers in the New Beetles. Sounds like you are having problems with the immobilizer. When this is activated there will be a yellow flashing warning light on the dash in the shape of a car and key. The engine will start for a second and shut off.

New keys need to have two programming procedures done: one so the remote can open and close the doors and a second for the ignition and immobilizer. To program the immobilizer you will need the code that was printed on the keyholder that came with the car originally along with software that only the VW dealer has. If you don't have the key code, there is software that will hack the car and get the code for you. See this website for a lot more info about the VW keys:

Sidewinderkey.com

You may also try taping the broken key fob to the steering column near the ignition switch. Your new key may then work in the ignition because the chip in the other key will be deactivating the immobilizer. It's worth a try.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I understand the idea of taping the two together, but you might not want two different key fobs right next to each other like this. To get the "new" key to reliably work I'd think you would not want its mis-programmed "chip" anywhere near the ignition. I wonder if this is the cause of the current intermittent starting problems. It sounds like you should get those new keys programmed correctly for the car a.s.a.p.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I was suggesting taping the programmed key fob to the steering column semi-permanently and then using the unprogrammed key in the ignition. If there is an interference with the unprogrammed key, then its RFID chip could be removed. Since the door unlock programming is completely separate the new key should be able to be programmed to work the door locks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply. But, I might have confused you. We put the original key back together and taped it so it would work. And it does work. In that the car started with it and everything. It worked taped together for about 2 weeks. Then it got where it wouldn't start. We put the new starter in it. And it hasn't been right since. It will run but when I shut it off it won't start unless you jump it or push it and pop the clutch. The mechanic said it was the software, something about it was a2.0 version and needed to be a 4.0. And that's what burnt the starter up. But he isn't sure what it is now. Can anyone help?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
I've never heard of anything like that regarding software. I have a feeling your mechanic isn't well versed in VWs.

Did you get the right starter?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I think he's blowing smoke up my behind. That's how I ended up here trying to get help. I assume he got the right starter. I paid $130 for it. But, the car hasn't started right since. So do you think it would help if I went to a dealer and had a new key made. Or what would someone suggest? Please help I love my Beetle.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
So when you say it won't start, what does happen? Does the starter do nothing, turn the engine slowly but it won't start or turn the engine normally but it won't start? Any unusual noises? And if it is hooked up to jumper cables it will work like it should all the time?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I read the information on sidewinder key and there is software. So he's not lying about that. Just not versed on beetles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The first attempt it makes the normal sounds a vehicle makes when trying to start. The next time it will make a clicking sound. When you put it on the jumper cables it takes a minute then starts right up. At first I could push and pop the clutch to start it. Then only jumping started it. Before we jumped it. It wouldn't make any sounds. But the radio worked for a little while.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Check the battery and its connections, especially the ground connection. It sounds to me like a bad ground.

A worthwhile test is to hook one end of a jumper cable to the negative side of the battery and the other end to the engine block, or any suitable clean metal surface of the drivetrain.
Then, if the car starts without a jump, it signals a bad ground between the battery and the engine/transmission/starter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is there anyone out there that lives in indianapolis, in. I'm on a fixed income. So I can't go to a dealer. And I can't physically do it myself. I will tell the mechanic what you said but I wish I had someone that lived here.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I wish I was a few smaller states closer! I'm down here in Texas. I do not charge my customers until the job is done right!
Sorry you are having such bad trouble with your little car. Hopefully we can help you get it sorted out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts