VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I am the owner of a 2000 vapor blue GLS 1.8Turbo beetle. My daughter a street lamp which put a small dent on front bumper. Ornate fixture on street lamp fell off and broke windshield. Has to do insurance claim because street light damaged. Sent my car to farmers insurance preferred shop and the technician said my car has $3400.00 in damage. Just was notified by agent they are going to total it. This is insane!!! They are calling in a day or two with payout. How can they value this unique beetle with the limited quantity produced in this color with the extras you don't see on KBB? How can I keep her?
I have heard they lowball you and I want to be prepared. So sad

·
Super Moderator
5,365 Posts
Contact your agent, you should be able to buy your beetle back from them. Hopefully they let you do this before it goes to either an insurance auction or the junk yard. I find it hard to believe it would cost that much to paint a replacement bumper and replace the windshield unless there is a bunch of hidden damage. Do you have any pictures of the damage?

·
Super Moderator
14,802 Posts
I hope you can get it back, and keep it on the road! :(

·
Super Moderator
5,365 Posts
True paint and labor add up, but $3400 is insane IMO. Looks like all you need is a new windshield ~$250 from Safelite, and repaint the bumper ~$160 for paint plus labor for prep and paint. I know labor isn't cheap, but that leave about $3k for labor, which either they're greatly overestimating at a reasonable labor rate ($100/hr) or they're estimating an insanely high labor rate.

Regardless, I hope you're able to buy it back for a decent price and keep a special color on the road :bigthumb:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you. That is the plan. Finalizing today. Just can't let her go!
Went through the VW secrets thread. So useful and fun. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update and question
I decided to keep my car but when the tow truck delivered my car the bumper,wheel wells and headlights were all off. I couldn't believe it. I called the shop and sent the car back to be reassembled. My insurance is paying for the tear down and reassembly. Such a nightmare. I am hoping they didn't scratch or damage the parts any further. They quoted 2300.00 to replace the bumper, fender, grill, fog lights and crack in raduator support. I will include a picture of the front of my car post accident. My question is how much does a cracked radiator support cost to have fixed?
Thank you

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,365 Posts
Wow that doesn't really look all that bad. As to the radiator support, not a clue but I wouldn't imagine its anywhere near the quote to have all that other stuff replaced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you I agree. Hopefully she will be reassembled in the condition post accident and I can get her to a VW shop for some TLC. I have a feeling that the fog lights broke during the tear down. Tomorrow will be interesting.

·
Super Moderator
14,802 Posts
Do you think they took it apart to inspect for damage, or trying to strip it for parts? :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
5,365 Posts
I'm sure it was just to see if there was any damage beyond what was visible. Once they reported what they found and insurance said it would be totaled by bother putting it all back? That would just cost them more money and time putting a car back together that's going to the junk yard.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sadly I went through the exact issue. My daughter has a 98 Beetle. I only have limited collision coverage on the car. This coverage only kicks in if the driver is not at fault. She hit another car in the rear bumper. Everyone was rubber necking another accident. Over 4k in estimated damage. Hood, bumper, grille were damaged good as were some mounts. Radiator and condenser and shroud were damaged also.

No way was I going to pay 4k+ so I ordered:

Hood Bumper Grille Radiator support $315
Radiator and Condenser $175
Paint reducer & clear/activator $140

$630.00 and my labor. I wasn't going to paint it myself, but for 3 parts painted was anywhere between 700-1000..

Crazy how such a small impact can cause that much damage..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts