VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
shortass
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My beetle won't start and I can't figure out why! It's a 2000 diesel 5-speed. It didn't fail me all winter, even with -29C weather. As soon as the weather warmed up on Monday afternoon, it wouldn't go. No click, nothing. All lights, windows, etc. work. Monday I got it boosted and it ran, worked on Tuesday fine, today, nada! Tried to boost it and only got a click. I had timing belt, turbo and seals done a week before Christmas. Battery is only 1 year old. The only other issue with it is when I wash the car (drive-thru), then use the trunk (sameday) the trunk open light stays on (even though trunk is definitely closed) and when I lock it (after wash/trunk) the alarm goes off! (I think that is just a poltergeist but it might be relevant). Can anyone help me?

·
His name is Poseidon
100 Posts
Check your battery voltage with a multimeter, should be 12.6vdc. If you try to start it and the starter doesn't engage, then could be either key cylinder is bad, starter bad or battery doesn't have enough CCA to turn it over.

I would first try to get the battery on a charger and see if maybe it is that, even though it's a year old they do go bad prematurely.

Good luck and keep us posted on your troubleshooting.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
If your alarm goes off after washing the rear decklid you most likely have a leaking 3rd brakelight. Water leaks in and makes the lock "short out and the car thinks some one is opening the truck and the alarm goes off. The 3 rd brake light is a fairly easy fix.
Remove the in side cover,
remove the crews holding the old lghr in.
put the new light in
Install the new screws ( this can be tricky but with is possible)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts