NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased my 2000 New Beetle GLS in June. Had been all checked out and good to go. Had the red coolant light go on yesterday and again today... went out soon after. Went for an oil change today. They let me know that it was out of power steering fluid and that I was needing G12 coolant. Bought both and they are now in. Is this typical or should on be looking into what caused both? Thanks!:eek:

·
Im Just Me
135 Posts
I could understand needing some g-12,sure if it were low the light would come on.But I would think if you had no none power steering fluid it your car you could here the pump wine or you would have a hell of a time turning the wheel.Do you see anything on the ground?? If you dont know much about your car take it to a vw shop that you know and trust. car's just dont loose fluid that quick with out reason have it checked before you burn out the ps pump,or kill the motor :confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2000 VW New Beetle

Thanks Matt... the coolant doesn't worry me... it really was not that low and I needed to just top it off. The power steering fluid however was near empty. I had no warnings here and the car was running great. I never saw anything on the ground. It is now filled and am wondering if I am good to go or should be looking for something?? Sincerely, Melissa

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I'm going to say, almost positively, that the power steering fluid is not monitored, just as your engine oil, or brake fluid, or windshield washer fluid levels are not monitored, at least on North American market cars, I was surprised to learn that the NBs produced for the Great Britain market do have an engine oil level monitor.

And yes, topping off the G12 is not unusual, but needing any power steering fluid, as stated, indicates there is a leak in the system. And I hope they/you didn't use ATF or other non-approved types of power steering fluid. Power steering components are subject to fail if anything but Volkswagen hydralic oil G 002 000 is used.

The Bentley states-
If the fluid level is above (more than 2mm) the MIN mark some fluid must be extracted, if the fluid level is below (more than 2mm) the MIN mark, the hydralic system must be checked for leaks. It is not sufficient to top up with fluid.

There are very specific ways to check PS fluid level and they are different if hot or cold. I'll post this up for your use. See .pdf below

MORAV

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2000 VW New Beetle

Thanks for the information! I only purchased the Bug in June as I broke my wrist and could not shift my manual Mini. Have owned many VW's, but not an older one in a long time. Did purchase the right PS fluid, thanks for sharing! I was questioning if I really needed to buy it! Just checking the level at this point on the advice of the auto mechanics teacher at my school. Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts