NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,i have purchased a 2000 glx for a soon to be 16 year old. Here is my issue. The ignition key had been lost, it doesnt have a radio (removed at some point supposedly aftermarket). I have talked to a locksmith and two different vw dealers. The locksmith stated the 2000 was different from later models and must have a factory radio for the security system to work (acted as a central module for security system) and a key programmed. The vw dealers conflicted each other when questioned. One said i would need to have a replacement factory radio and all 5 sensors redone, and one said it didn't matter. No one can agree. So whats your opinion? I need to be able to crank this car very shortly. Oh, and no owners manual so no pin. Can vw get me that as well? If i do have to buy a factory radio what did the glx come with, the monsoon? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Hello all,i have purchased a 2000 glx for a soon to be 16 year old. Here is my issue. The ignition key had been lost, it doesnt have a radio (removed at some point supposedly aftermarket). I have talked to a locksmith and two different vw dealers. The locksmith stated the 2000 was different from later models and must have a factory radio for the security system to work (acted as a central module for security system) and a key programmed. The vw dealers conflicted each other when questioned. One said i would need to have a replacement factory radio and all 5 sensors redone, and one said it didn't matter. No one can agree. So whats your opinion? I need to be able to crank this car very shortly. Oh, and no owners manual so no pin. Can vw get me that as well? If i do have to buy a factory radio what did the glx come with, the monsoon? Any help would be appreciated.
You don't need a factory radio for the ignition key to work. I have a 2000 GLX 1.8 and I also have an Alpine aftermarket stereo and my car starts every time ;)
Not sure who told you that fairy tale.
How did you ever buy the car without a key ? ?
The dealer should be able to cut you a key using the VIN number.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
See if your radio wiring harness is still intact of if it had been cut up. Hopefully it was not cut??

2000-2010 I think use the same head unit? It was the earlier radios that did not use the data bus as I recall??

You can get decent head units on e-bay for around $150. I recently updated my 2003 cassette head unit with a later model CD head unit that plays MP3 CD's, supports and AUX input and will support OEM Sirius. I have all the parts to add the OEM Sirius to my car and put an Aux cable in for under $8.

As for the key, suggest you get a new keyfob from the dealer. The key also has a anti-theft chip in it as well which is needed for the car to start.

Not sure what the key costs at the dealer, but I am guessing $150-$160. You need to call around and see what the dealers want, you will likely find variations for the key pricing.

Also be careful on the wiring for the radio as it can impact the OBD connector function.

Ross-Tech: VCDS: Afterrmarket Radio Problem

As for Monsoon system, there should be an additional audio amp in the trunk if it was not removed?? I also do not know the speaker configuration, it may have been different for the Monsoon vs non Monsoon cars??

Search the forum and on the Internet and I am sure you will be able to find something about the Monsoon systems.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
2000 is not monsoon. Monsoon wasn't available until 2002. Other than that I can't help you much. I had heard that the anti theft chip in the 2000 was actually easier to replace keys for than later models were.

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
I'm not sure how this helps but my Bentley manual says the "Premium V Monsoon" was available 10/2000 to early 2004 and the "Premium V" was available 1998-early 04. If yours is a 2000, October would be late for a production date to have the Monsoon. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
There is an easy way to tell if you had a Monsoon system installed by looking at you top of your dash. The monsoon had speaker cut outs on the dash top on either side, the others didn't.
Mine was built late in 2000 and My GLX didn't have it.
Not sure why anyone would want to install an old inferior stock radio when there are so many superior
options available.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts