NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
This chick drives a stick
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boyfriend has been looking for a more fuel efficient car. With recent gas hikes, his 96 Jeep that gets 15mpg (if he's lucky) just isn't cutting it. He made the smart decision go to with a VW. Well, find out today that his best friend is looking to sell his Jetta. It's a 2000 1.8 Turbo. The only thing is...it has around 180,000 miles! :eek: Does anyone have any idea what to expect at that mileage? Things we should watch for? And also, what would you pay for something like that? I know it's not worth a whole lot because it has so many miles on it, but it also is an 8 year old car. I would be really excited if he got the Jetta, I really think it would be great for him. I just thought I'd ask here and see if anyone had any thoughts or considerations that we didn't think about. Thanks for all your input!

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
My NB has 198k. I expect to get another 50k, at least, from him. But..... we did have the timing belt break, a new radiator put in & he just did a wheel bearing (I expect at least another one to go too). The higher the mileage the more that can go wrong with it. It all depends on how well it was taken care of too.

·
This chick drives a stick
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well supposedly the car has been dealer maintained since it was purchased new. 5 speed manual tranny. Not exactly sure when the timing belt was replaced the first time and if or when the clutch was replaced. There are some unknowns, but it would be easy to ask his buddy to find out for sure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts