NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
HMWREKR
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am purchasing a 2000 NB 1.8 Turbo Friday, 8/23. I am excited to have a vehicle that will run. I have given up on my 2003 GLS 2.0 due to financial reasons of sinking into the car not knowing if it will be worth it, so I am buying one that is running now. It has a few blemishes that I can repair and some engine issues such as the Mass Air Flow sensor, which I will be installing on the day that I get the vehicle. Also, it is a 5-speed manual, which I looooove!! I can't wait to get it so I can drive it and fix it back better than what it was when it was brand new.

·
Registered
14,052 Posts
Wow, that is quite a change of plans; I hope everything turns out well for you, on the next one! Did you ever get your scanner and get any codes out of your current 2.0L new beetle? Maybe, once you have a running car; you can take some time and be able to fix the other one, without the stress of not having a running car! :)

·
HMWREKR
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have thought about that, but it would definitely be a project. The only part of that car that would not need to be changed would be the frame and the body. The interior is shot from the mildew/mold caused by leaking vents in the hood cowling. Along with the other minor defects in the upholstery, it would all have to come out, be cleaned or replaced or both. I might just hang on to it for spare parts. I could also salvage what is good on it and sell it as parts. Idk. There are a thousand things that I could do. One thing I won't do is let that ******* at the dealership give me a measley $200 for it as a trade-in....He must be high on crack!! That really pissed me off when he said that.

·
HMWREKR
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got a question for ya though. What is a 1.8T considered in terms of insurance? The only options that it asked for was GL, GLS, and GLX?

·
Registered
14,052 Posts
Well, those are "trim" lines, so not necessarily which engine it has. My 2000 1.8T was a GLX but that is not to say there weren't lower lines at the time with a 1.8T. You might call customer service and see which selection would be correct.

Very rarely; will you ever get a good value; on a trade in. I appreciate you frustration with the dealer; don't take it personally, they will hit you as low as possible. They are buying the car at below wholesale; they are buying to make money or just to make a "sale" work (making money on the sale of the "new" car and your trade in; they are in business, to make a profit). If a car is in really poor shape; they just wholesale the car to someone in the car business or send it to a auction to unload it or have a junk yard come get it, most dealerships that deal in new cars... will not sell cars beyond a certain year, condition or mileage range (its just not worth their time).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts