NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
MegaWatt
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been restoring a badly abused bug for a couple of years now, but now I can't get it to start. I have VCDS, and while it was running, it consistently gave me a Glow Plug Code 16764 P0380-35-10, Failure or intermittent, but I never had any issues with it starting. Well now I do. I can only get it started if I plug in the engine heater and preheat it well. I've disconnected the water temp sensor, checked continuity just about everywhere, with no obvious problems, but I can't get any voltage to the glow plugs - which all look ok and ohm out about 1.7 with my cheapo dvm. I have a better one, but I won't be able to get it back until this weekend. I've almost memorized the wiring diagrams in the Bentleys, but trying to match the VW diagrams to the real world isn't giving me any great pleasure. I decided to give it a new glow plug relay, but that didn't help at all. In the 2 years I've had the car, I've never seen the glow plug indicator on the instrument panel come on, and wasn't really sure if it was even enabled in my car, but after more forum scouring, I saw that if the power relay (109) is shot, that can cause the glow plug circuit to go south and not light the indicator. Before I spend more $$ on a power relay, can someone lend their experience to making a recommendation? And if someone is in the Zanesville, OH, area that knows what they're doing, I would really appreciate another set of eyes on the situation. It could mean a steak dinner downtown! A final note: I've really been committed to restoring this little guy. I bought it on Ebay 2 years ago for $3850, and since then, I've invested about $4500 in restoring it. I'd like to think I'm getting close to having a dependable little TDI to drive around.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,122 Posts

·
MegaWatt
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't replaced the harness, but I did a continuity check on it, and it checked good at every plug. I appreciate the TDIClub link. I'll check it out. I appreciate your help.

·
MegaWatt
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks - good info. I had to go out of town, but I havea 109 on order, and it should be in when I get back to town. I'll update next week! I hope it's as easy as changing the relay.

·
MegaWatt
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I'm back in town last night, and the first thing I did was put the new 109 relay in the car to no avail. It's just not starting. I'll have to dig deeper in the wiring, I suspect, to see what's not happening, but it will have to be next week.
:(

·
MegaWatt
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the car started - apparently it was a fuel filter problem. That's fixed, but it's still hard starting. I've replaced the glow plug relay, the 109 relay, verified continuity to the plugs, but still I don't even get the idiot light coming on even for a second. Any ideas anyone?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts