VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
His name is Poseidon
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice

Have been in contact with a person who has a NB for sale, 1.8t 5-speed with 200K miles on odometer. He states that it has a head gasket problem and sends anti-freeze out the expansion container when it runs but has no oil contamination. I hope that he caught it fast enough before it did any real damage but the head could be warped?

Exterior has a few dings, front air dam looks to be cracked and the running board on drivers side has a big crease in it towards the rear fender. Interior door panels are seperated like the majority are.

Have no idea if he kept up on maintenance, so timing belt, waterpump...etc would need to be changed for piece of mind.

What would be a good price to start negotiations on it? He's asking a bit more than what I think it's worth but he is OBO.

·
His name is Poseidon
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I asked a local VW repair location what the cost to remove the head, replace the headgasket and if nothing else needed attention what the cost out the door would be. Was quoted $1200-$1500.

So based on that quote, what would be a good starting offer to give on the vehicle? KBB says in good condition, it's worth $1850 but in the condition it's in it's undriveable. The asking price is more than $1k but I'm thinking more like $750.

What would your best offers be?

Thanks

Bill

·
His name is Poseidon
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, went and looked at it this morning and it has more problems than just a head gasket, interior trashed, front has no foglight/airdam and it's plastic ripped. Sunscreen missing from sunroof, musty smells inside, leather seats ripped, side skirt on drivers side crushed in...the list goes on and on. Asking price is $1200 OBO but I don't even want the car with as many problems to fix AFTER the headgasket swap to even make it presentable.

·
Registered
56 Posts
SOunds like a parts car...
take care as if it has head gasket problems, its taking out the head, machine shop charges, replacement parts, most likely water pump+timing belt replacement and see how many miles this car was driven in this condition to imagine other damages done to the engine/oil in this case.

I've had a head gasket blown with oil contamination and everuthing. I was lucky enough (to this board) to catch it early and service the car myself right away...

be careful and expect to pay very little for the car if you still want it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts