NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 new beetle with a 2.0 standard shift and I accidentally touch the hot wire shorted it out just for a split second and now I have this little car on my dash with a key in it and now the car starts and runs for just a split second and then diesAre there any secrets or bypasses to quick fix this

·
Registered
21 Posts
You probably just blew a fuse. The easy way to find out which circuit has the problem is to go to a place like an Auto Zone, and rent an OBD II scanner. Take it back to the vehicle and plug it in under the dash - left side, and follow the instructions that come with it. Or, maybe you have a car buddy that already owns a scanner that will do this for you. It should quickly tell you where the problem is.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,933 Posts
You've triggered the immobilizer. You might unhook the battery and see if things reset.

·
Registered
11,635 Posts
Hey, basically your immobilizer; is kicking on and killing the ignition (thus, the start/stall issue) and the immo activation, is confirmed by the immo light blinking (e.g. "little car with a key in it"). This can be caused by a number of issues; a fault in any part of the immo system, a low battery or charging issue or you might try a "hard reset" of the ecu, see if it fixes the issue (the immo can get goofy; hard reset, can clear things).

Let us know, what you mean by "I accidently touched the hot wire shorted it out just for a split second"; so, we can understand what you meant and any possible electrical problems, it might have caused. Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi billymade - you and I are also communicating about fuel injection hoses now, but I have to ask a question ( or two ) about your response above.
My recently acquired '98 Beetle is my break-away from a long life of Studebaker restorations. I grew up in a Studebaker dealership family, and over the years I have restored and put back on the road 46 Studebakers. But I personally don't care for the direction the Studebaker owners are going, as they are becoming more of a trailer queen group, and less of a drivers club. I always believed that if you own them, then drive them.

So, anyway, at 75 years old I am striking out in a new direction, and this Beetle , and the attitude of the Forum group has impressed me a great deal.
I bought the white cover Bently shop manual. It's great, but like so many manuals it still leaves out many items, or maybe I haven't located them yet.
Regarding the above info you passed along , tell me where in the Bently book I can learn about the immobilizer ? Not heard of that before. Also, what did you mean by the term " hard reset " of the ecu ?

I hope you don't mind helping to teach this old dog some new tricks. Remember, none of those Studebakers had an ECU !!!! Thanks

·
Registered
413 Posts
A hard reset is to disconnect the battery cables and hold them together for a few seconds. Sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn’t.

Here is a link to some immobilizer info.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the info. I certainly hadn't heard about that before ! Proof that there's always something new to learn. Thanks again,

·
5/23/10 <3
10,933 Posts
Your '98 won't have an immobilizer, just FYI. That started with the 2000 model cars. Makes life much easier!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well, thanks again for the info. Very much appreciated, since all systems are new to me with this vehicle. I'm enjoying the challenge of learning about it.
Odd to think of a 1998 vehicle as "new technology" for me, but thinking back to all that I've worked on in the past, it really is " new " to me!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2000 new beetle with a 2.0 standard shift and I accidentally touch the hot wire shorted it out just for a split second and now I have this little car on my dash with a key in it and now the car starts and runs for just a split second and then diesAre there any secrets or bypasses to quick fix this
You probably have a DTC in the trans, erase the codes and it may erase the problem?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts