VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm just making one thread for the trouble that keeps cropping up with this car. We already replaced the cracked power steering reservoir, cleaned off bad contacts, and replaced spark plugs and two ignition coils since I got it. Well my hubby did most of it but whatever.

So now on top of the big radiator fan making a ton of noise, other bad things are happening. I may try that brake cleaner trick from the other thread to see if that helps, but the bad just keeps piling up.

First, the blinkers and emergency blinkers stick on when I try to use them, but not all the time. We looked it up, and it may be the relay in the emergency blinker switch? So we gotta replace that I guess?

Then, my hubby showed me what the air box is really supposed to look like. The guy who had the car before me did something like take off the top half of the air box so he could shove in some k&n cone filter. Hubby says it's too close to the maf sensor. It doesn't bother me except the secondary return hose that's supposed to come off the air box wasn't hooked to anything, and it had a big crack in it. So big it just snapped right off. So, it shows a check engine light all the time for that. Not sure if I should care about it right now.

What's worse is that last night the engine temp light came on red and started flashing. Coolant leak? I got it home, hubby says he thinks it's two or three hoses with plastic ribbing on top of the radiator that meet at a T that are leaking, but the plastic is making it hard to tell exactly which ones are leaking. There's coolant splattered all over the top front of the engine, the battery cover, all that. And we haven't figured out how to change any of the hoses yet. Any advice on changing those hoses?

Sorry if this sounds like a whinefest but the car is doing its best to break down in weird ways. I love it when it runs.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
welcome

Welcome to the Beetle world of problems..LOL :D If only somebody had warned you beforehand about these little cars and their continuous issues. If the temperature light is flashes it just means it's low on coolant, if it's on solid red light than it's time to stop the car immediately before you ruin the motor. You gotta have the fans operational during the summer especially in stop and go traffic or idling for too long.
If those are the original hoses from a 13-14 year old car than that explains why they started leaking when it overheated. changing the hoses is a good Idea but you still need to find out why it overheated. this might be what you are asking about 1C0122101T , you might want to replace the plastic coolant flange mounted by the engine that this hose connects to those are problematic.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
Congratulations on becoming a New Beetle owner; not exactly what you expected from your "New Beetle" is it? Anyway, how about some more info about your NB, like motor, is it a 1.8L Turbo or the 2.0L?

Seeing that it has a K&N Intake Filter MOD in it, does it have any other "After Market" performance mods that you know of? This is something that you might want to question the previous owner about. It may give you a understanding of what maintenance lay ahead.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, sorry it took me so long to get back here.

Esse, yeah my hubby warned me about electrical problems or something, but I liked the car and the price was right.

The light was never on solid, it was just flashing. We did some testing and figured out that the hoses we thought were bad may not be. It's the big radiator fan from the other thread! My hubby put water in the coolant reservoir to see where the leak was, and there was no leak. So we warmed up the engine and put the AC on full blast, and the big fans starts spitting water! So it looks like we have to check that out. Maybe this is related to why the fan started running all the time?

D2beetle, it's the 1.8t motor. Yeah not quite what I expected. I don't think it has any other mods, except that the entire battery compartment is just gone, except for the lid where the fuses are. Hubby also says the skid plate is gone. He says it made changing the oil really easy lol.

Looks like it is a a slow leak, since it's taking a long time for all the water we put in to spit out.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
coolant pipe

You might want to check this coolant pipe which connects to the electric water pump d2beetle is talking about it's known to rust over real bad and causes coolant flow problems/leaks. I believe it's the coolant going to the Turbo via the electric pump. The pipe is mounted on the left frame as you face the engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hey thanks for all the input, sorry it took so long to get back but things are crazy around here. Finally got lazy hubby to put it back on jack stands to look under the car to check the little hose that goes to the big radiator fan that was spitting water. So this time we couldn't get it to leak even with AC, but I know we drove it some and had to refill the coolant res pretty quickly doing that. Just using water, not wasting g12 like that.

So we revved it up to about 3500 rpm and one of the rubber hoses on top of the radiator starts spraying water like crazy onto the radiator fan! No wonder it was spitting, it's getting soaked on top. We are looking now to see exactly which part number it is, but there's no markings we can read on the hose. There's kind of a T above the big radiator fan, with a sensor sticking into the top of it, where a fat hose or two fat hoses (hard to tell) join up with the hose that is leaking like mad.

Okay it looks like the leaking hose is the black one in the middle of the first pic (near the gloved hand) in this post:
http://newbeetle.org/forums/1-8-liter-turbo/18396-hose-sizes-2.html#post282201

Does that seem right? Anyone know the part # for that?

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
pictures

a picture would help us help U............... it sounds like the hose coming from the radiator T to the auxiliary pump.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Turns out it was. Hubby got a guy at oreilly's to match it up to a part in their computer. Was only $17 to get a new one. Had to get one of those craftsman band clamp wire tools, because the clamp near the secondary pump was so hard to get to. Now it's fixed, thank goodness. Next up is the hazard relay switch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts