NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2000 in June I had my vw mechanic change the oil the first time. My mother had borrowed the car in October and the alarm had gone off, so she checked the oil and noticed it was blacker than soot (normal) anyway she had a quick lube change the oil. WAS NOT HAPPY made damn sure they put Mobil one 0w40 in it they wanted to use Mobil 5000 5w30...knuckle heads. I took it in today and my oil pan is shot because someone had used a heli-coil on it and it sprung. He said more than likely the last person to change it probably did it...they deny using heli coil's. My mechanic noted no problems when he changed it and the dealership where I bought it had nothing in their notes about problems. Do these go on the first time or could this have lasted a year?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Most 'merikun mechanics seldom encounter aluminum oil pans and therefore strip the threads with regularity.

This vehicle is DESIGNED to have the motor oil vacuum extracted via the dipstick tube. When done as designed there is obviously no risk to the oil pan and no need to remove engine bottom covers.

There is, BTW, absolutely zero significance in the color of motor oil and of course with a diesel it was black within seconds of starting the motor the first time following an oil change.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts