NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thing is driving me crazy! Really, i would have to say these cars are junk. Soooooo many problems. I could go on and on.Yesterday the ac stopped . We replaced everthing a few months back but seemed to be weired after that. The fans are spinning but the compressor is not unless you shut it off, wait, then start it back up. Read up a bunch on here and leaned towards the fan control modual. I have 2 parts cars .the first one blew up afterthe oil all leaked out of the seal between the oil cooler and block .the second one i bought to replace the interior , andsunroof and just to have parts. So i hooked up another fcm. I didnt mount it cause i didnt feel like removing the battery and tray and whatever else is involved. Is there an easy way to get to the bolts. The one i took off the parts car had all that removed allready. This morning we drove it about 15 to 20 miles and the ac stopped again. I pulled over and tapped on the fcm and it did nothing so i kept driving maby another 10 miles and the red light was flashing so i pulled over and the plastic tank was bubling. Let it sit put more water in it .only took a little. And drove all the way back home without a problem except it pings a little like it is to hot and the ac dont work. I put gas in it yesterday and thought maby it was crappy gas cause i noticed it pinging yesterday but the light never came on. Maby it is just running way to hot? Maby the thermostate is bad but im not sure why i was able to make it all the way home then. In the last three weeks the elec water pump up front broke at the plastic dumping all the water leaving my wife stranded. Then the plastic peice that has the line in it that goes to the top of the plastic tank broke leaving her stranded.i made a new one out of metal. Then the peice that holds the temp sensor broke . Found this out at home. Sweet. This car has 97000 miles and the watet pump has been changed. It has the metal impellor. It runs fine except the turbo doesnt work, thats another prob. Is it the thetmostate causing this?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
WOW, you have some major issues. Did you actually do the entire timing belt service on the car? What type of gas are you using in your 1.8 Turbo? You should be using Premium minimum 91 Octane gasoline. Otherwise it can ping if the knock sensors don't work properly.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ive changed the timing beltand im just running regular . gas is way to expesive these days but the turbo doesnt work any way. weve had this car for a year and it never pinged before. we changed the thermostate today. like i said before ,these cars suck and i love volkswagens!!!!!!!!!! i had to pull the throttle body, belt,tensioner,altenator, and then i could get to the bolts for thermostate housing. thats just ridiculous. we'll see how it goes. took for ever to even warm up to get the thermostate to open

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
As for the pinging I have seen it take a while before the cheaper fuel causes a problem. The computer will compensate for a while, but eventually it hits the limit of what it can do.

I live in Arizona and I can tell you that heat will make things brittle over time and break like you are describing.

The cooling system probably has air in it, it is closed loop and if it does not bleed the air out it can cause all kinds of overheating problems.

A/C could possibly be the expansion valve, I would trade one out from you part car. Also I think the radiator has a temperature switch in it that gives input to the fan control module, if it says the car is too hit it could cut out the A/C to prevent over heating.

Hope this helps.

Bme

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
x2

X2 on what BME said, the A/C will stop working if the engine get's too hot and the engine get's hot if your electric fans are not working when you are either going slow or at Idle for long periods of time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts