NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have a 2000 NB TDI. I may be wrong but I remember the glow plugs in the past taking longer to warm the cylinders. It has been getting down into the low 40s high 30s the past week or so and the glow plug light is only staying on for at most 1 and a half seconds. The car does start after a few revs but I thought in the past it stayed on longer and then started almost instantly. How long would you estimate that your glow plugs are on in those temperatures? Also does anyoen know if there is anyway to adjust glow plug temp/time with a VAGCOM? We had the plugs and harness replaced a month or so ago and I wondered if they messed with it.

·
strange things are afoot
1,535 Posts
your answer lies in your last sentence. you have brand new glow plugs and a new harness in there with new tight connections on them. they are working more efficiently than your older worn out harness/glow plugs.

iirc there is no adjustment in VAG COM for the time of the glow. it is controlled by the sensors that measure the temperature of the ambient air. it is possible that these sensors might be bad, but unlikely. if it is still doing this when the temps stay below freezing then yes, you might have a issue. but with the temps dipping down tot eh 30s & 40s and rising during the day, my 2000 tdi is doing the same as yours and only glowing for a short time.

keep an eye on it as it gets and stays colder and let us know how it is acting.

:bigthumb:

Aaron

·
Registered
51 Posts
Actually there is a way to lengthen the glow plug time using VAG COM. Below is text from a recent poster at TDICLUB.COM. I included a link to the orignal thread which covers this subject. Note that the TDICLUB.COM servers and software are being updated this weekend and who knows how previous threads can be found next week.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1142290&an=0&page=0&gonew=1#UNREAD
OK! I have figured out something here. Not exactly sure what but here goes. With the Vag-com under engine group 12, I changed the existing value which was 32768 to 32668 and my glow plugs stayed on for about 3 seconds. With the original setting my glow plugs only stay on for 1 second. Now, I changed it again to 32568 and they stayed on for 10 seconds. Then I reset the value to the original (32768) and my glow plugs stayed on for 1 second again. So, I set it 32568 and the car started great. So, then I started thinking what if the glow plugs always turn on now regardless of the temp. Well, I drove the car and got it up to normal operating temp, shut it off and restarted. The glow plugs turned off right away just like should on a hot engine. So, I guess the system is working for now. I will still have to check the new coolant temp sensor ohm readings and compare it to the old. The only change I noticed when altering the values in block 12 was the (no units) value increased with each lower number input. The original (no units) was 0 and now its 7.54. Anyone know what (no units) means? I have some screen shots from the Vag com but I am not sure how to upload them to the forum. Dont have time to figure it out now....got stuff to do today. Be back later.
---------------------------------------
Also note that it is the coolant temp sensor (G62) that is used by the ECU to determine glow plug timing. The 1 or 1.5 second glow plug on time may be OK for coolant at 40°F. However, apparently you can increase that time if you so choose.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts