VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I drove my Bug from Long Island to CR and back, long trip both ways but it was just fine, no issues. This morning I had to start it up just to move it so my husband could get the Honda out of the driveway. As soon as the engine started, the thermometer icon began flashing red and sounded the three beeps.

This is the second morning it's been below freezing here - I don't know if this is because I didn't winterize the cooling system yet (didn't expect it to be really cold so soon) or due to the long trip somehow... However, I took an even longer drive a month ago with no problem so I'm thinking it's the cold.

I'm hoping the coolant didn't freeze in the system...? Would this happen if it was old or a weak mix? Any other ideas?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was on my way out the door and didn't have time to check ANYTHING this morning, I will check the basics when I get home tonight. Hope this is a simple fix, I just expected it to flash blue when I started it up, not red!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,415 Posts
It should be solid blue when the engine is cold. If it flashes blue at all, its probably a bad coolant temp sensor. Flashing red usually means low coolant. Top it up with either distilled water or G12 coolant (if what is in there is pink already).

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Should be solid blue for about the first mile to mile and a half drive if you are not stopping in the morning. The blue light goes out around 135F as I recall on my car.

Flashing blue is usually a bad sensor.

Flashing red is usually low coolant in the expansion tank and/or a bad expansion tank coolant level sensor, which does happen quite often. Expansion tank should be filled about 1/2" above the seam when cold.

Solid red should mean an over heat condition.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts