1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
High mileage driver found
268 Posts
Looks great!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Its actually the regular blue and I used the Harbor Freight HVLP spray gun system
High Volume, Low Pressure Spray Gun Kit

At first I tried to use my Air Gun with 25 Psi but I have a 1.4 head and it needs a 1.8 so it kept clogging. The new Spray gun came with a 1.8 plus a 1.5 and a 1.4 I believe.
It's supper easy to apply but the masking is a PITA!
All in all it came out nice.

·
Registered
45 Posts
How many coats did you wind up applying?

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
Woah! That looks good :goodjob: They make some pretty cool colors and I've been tempted to try them out.

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,471 Posts
How much dip did you need? I am thinking I need to do this! Looks great BTW! :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update

So I spent some time the other weekend to add some racing stripes because it just looks cooler, and I scored some really cheap white rubber paint. But to answer some questions : It's a good idea to put about 5 coats on. The amount of plasti dip is 2 gallons (at least) depending on how heavy/light you are on the coats ( Has to be the sprayable gallons , don't even try to go through the trouble of mixing your own)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Looks pretty sweet! I noticed your VW symbol was gone at first, but then it looks like you drew a new one on there on the later picture? Nice little touch ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
Those stripes look great! :goodjob:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Look at post #7 billy , there is a link to the exact setup(Airgun system) I used. It made the job super easy !

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sold the Bug the other day ...Kinda sad to let it go to be honest , after all the time and money that I put into it ! I was just about to take it to get it smogged to register it , and I had just purchased online a new key fob case.The previous week I had replaced the lower control arms and ball joints in the front that usually break about now , so those were new :). The kid that came to buy it seems like a good guy that will take care of it. We drove it around a bit and hauling ass down the back streets around here and I think he was digging the paint job and the way it ran and handled.
I told him all the things that has been done and what it would need (Bad AC Evap Valve). He got a pretty good deal considering that everything that normally fails at about 140000 miles has been changed :D god knows how much he'd have to spend if those weren't done.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts